Atmospheric Firing In A Soft Brick Kiln

I know it's unusual, but I happened upon a real steal of a beat-up mostly soft brick kiln. I would really like to go back to firing 03 soda, but have moved and could not take my kiln with me. So the question is... can I glaze the interior with a high fire base, and then fire low atmospheric in it without totally wrecking the bricks? Also... anyone have experience firing with propane?

Rather than glaze it, I'd spray ITC on it. I think the glaze would eat the brick especially if it contained much sodium.

My friend in Italy has a soft brick soda kiln he fires to ^10. It has hi alumina soft brick. It has lasted ..maybe a decade and he uses it for workshops.

The ITC would help protect the bricks from corrosion.

Marcia

MMmmm what, pray tell is ITC? Please tell me more about that.

I was worried about the glaze eating the brick, so then I was thinking about a layer or castable on the interior... am I just crazy? I really want this to work- the kiln is basically mine, I just have to move it- but I don't want to bother if I can't get the results I want without destroying it.

thanks for your wisdom :)

Well I'm not a kiln doctor in any sense, but I do have a bit of experience with soda in a soft brick kiln, and let me say, Definitely coat it with ITC! Without it, it will have a very short life. Although I was not blowing soda in, just in a few areas where it dripped off of pieces onto the soft brick on the bottom, it ate it up in a fury. Probably a quarter of the way through the bricks from just a few fallen pieces.

I know ITC to be a great product, but I think calling the manufacturer might be prudent to see if it would do for the application you are thinking of. Enough coats (I don't know exactly how many) should work out though. Any small bit left uncoated might be eaten away in just a few short firings.

Hope it helps. Good luck! Let me know how it works out.

I don't know it's exact composition. I think you should look up the product on Laguna/Axner Clay's website or Aardvark Clay's website and then maybe talk story to their techs to see if it is something you can concoct yourself, or if it's even worth it to do that. It is relatively inexpensive from what I can remember. Or try a Google search.......those things work wonders!

:)

ITC comes in a gallon container. Then as the directions say, you dilute by adding 50% water. You spray it on with a cheap sandblaster unit. I got mine from a hardware store for $30 a while ago.

First you spray a coat of water which dampens the surface. Then spray a coat of ITC. You could probably get by with buying a quart. I have some still from years ago. I stir it up every so. often. I put it on all the kilns at the University including the lids of the electric kilns. It may seem expensive but it is a great product.

Nils Lou demonstrated this at NCECA a long time ago. He sprayed it onto plywood and built a kiln out of it. It is a chemical compound that deters corrosion, increases the insulating ability by reflecting the heat.

Foundries keep it around for emergencies.

Marcia

• 4 weeks later...

I know it's unusual, but I happened upon a real steal of a beat-up mostly soft brick kiln. I would really like to go back to firing 03 soda, but have moved and could not take my kiln with me. So the question is... can I glaze the interior with a high fire base, and then fire low atmospheric in it without totally wrecking the bricks? Also... anyone have experience firing with propane?

Hi Jessk, thanks for asking this question as I've been wondering the exact same thing. I was recently introduced to soda firing(cone10), i also have a beat up old soft brick gas kiln that I was planning on firing with a soda atmosphere with propane, but was thinking to cone 6. I would love to share information if you are interested. I have lots of raku experience with propane, and high fire gas, but soda is new to me, and cone 03 sounds very interesting.

I just talked to Glen at laguna about ITC. He said it works really well, he has used it many times. You can spray it on fibre blanket in raku kilns and it extends the life of the blanket considerably. I just ordered half a gallon to spray on the soft brick kiln that i want to soda fire in as well as my raku kiln that I've had to replace the blanket on a couple of times. He said it was developed by someone who works for NASA as they were trying to come up with something for the space shuttle. I'm looking forward to trying it. for 150 bucks, i think it will be worth it, i only spent 200 on the soft brick gas kiln. If this works, i will be happy.

lcar

Archived