Best Book On Paper Clay

I've been having a lot of fun recently taking some paper clay sculpture classes from Graham Hay here in Perth but will soon be heading back the the US.

I want to continue playing with paper clay and was wondering what would be a good book on the subject. I've perused Amazon and come up with the following:

Paper Clay (Ceramics Handbooks) - Rosette Gault

PaperClay for Ceramic Sculptors: A Studio Companion - Rosette Gault

Working with Paperclay and Other Additives - Anne Lightwood

The two Rosette Gault books each run about $20 US a piece, and the Anne Lightwood is about $40 US.

Have I missed any other books on the subject?

If I had to choose just one, which would it be? I may well end up getting them all, but would welcome any input you may have on the matter.

I would have to say they are all good. The book I might chose if I was a beginner would be <span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; color: rgb(28, 40, 55); line-height: 19px; "><a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0812218957" class="bbc_url" title="External link" rel="nofollow external" style="color: rgb(108, 62, 34); ">Paper Clay (Ceramics Handbooks)</a> - Rosette Gault. </span>

• 2 months later...

I've been having a lot of fun recently taking some paper clay sculpture classes from Graham Hay here in Perth but will soon be heading back the the US.

I want to continue playing with paper clay and was wondering what would be a good book on the subject. I've perused Amazon and come up with the following:

The two Rosette Gault books each run about $20 US a piece, and the Anne Lightwood is about $40 US.

If I had to choose just one, which would it be? I may well end up getting them all, but would welcome any input you may have on the matter.

Anne Lightwood's book is much larger than the two Gault books. I believe she was working with paper clay around the same time as Rosette gault, but she is British.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Palandri,

I have tried to use the Gault books on a few occasions, and I can't. I don't know what it is, but I can't get anything cohesive out of them, I don't know if it is my reading or her style/organization, but "it don't work."

I haven't tried the other book.

I would suggest that, if your local library has an interlibrary loan program, that you try to borrow these books from another library, to save money. To do that, I do as follows:

Google the title of the book - say "Paper Clay (Ceramics Handbooks) - Rosette Gault" for example.

Then use the menu bar at the top of Google, and click on the "more" tab (last on right.)

At the top of the drop down menu will be "Books" if you click on that , Google will list books on the subject, in this case, paper clay.

Click on the title of the book you want.

Details of the book will come up, and you can clikc on "Find in a library."

Worldcat, a worldwide catalog of books will come up and automatically find the llibraries near you that you might be able to borrow the books from, saving you $.

Hope this helps.

• 4 months later...

HI Palandri,

It's great you had the opportunity to study with Graham Hay. I had been working in paper clay since 2004 and had the chance to take his 2-day workshop in Santa Clara back in 2006.

I know both Graham and Rosette personally and they have different teaching styles which makes for an interesting workshop.

As for the books, I find they are good reference material. However, the best thing to do is to continue on working in paper clay which you find fulfilling. The best learning and discovery comes when we experiment and try out new things. Sometimes we discover new things; often times things don't work out and we learn from it.

Hope this helps.

Anthony

• 5 months later...

I own all three books, and (as Anthony says) use them for reference. I took the 2009 workshop at Port Hadlock with Rosette Gault and Graham Hay, and don't think you could have found two more dissimilar instructors. Rosette was into the making of the paperclay and the science behind it, whereas Graham was more into using the clay to produce finished work. They split the teaching each day, so it was difficult to see anything carried to conclusion. Their teaching styles were so different that shifting mental gears from one to the other was like learning a new language each session. I'd sure like to see Graham Hay write a book. Has he done this? I especially recommend Graham's website ( www.grahamhay.com/au ) and hope that he will find time from his busy schedule to finish the re-editing of several of his videos.

I agree with Anthony Foo--use your paper clay and create, create. Theory and recipes only get you so far, sooner or later you need to move on to your take on paper clay and by making the process your own, you'll then decide if it's right for you. If you haven't looked at Anthony's website, do so--well worth the visit.

Archived