Loading Kiln W/underglazed Pieces

Hello, I think this is my first post here... I'm ready to do my first bisque firing in my new kiln and I have two questions.

1. Is it OK to stack pieces that have underglaze on them, or will they stick to each other?

2. Can there be underglaze on the bottom of the piece or near the bottom on the sides without it sticking to the shelf?

Thanks in advance!

You should be safe since underglazes don't move and should not flux ... or stick to the shelf.

BUT if you have Intricate designs that you have invested a lot of time and energy on,

I would stack them so the designs don't touch anything ... just going by the basic

Rule that if things can go wrong they generally do.

Hello, I think this is my first post here... I'm ready to do my first bisque firing in my new kiln and I have two questions.

1. Is it OK to stack pieces that have underglaze on them, or will they stick to each other?

2. Can there be underglaze on the bottom of the piece or near the bottom on the sides without it sticking to the shelf?

Thanks in advance!

They won't stick but do not allow the pieces to touch. Do not place decorated bowls in bowls, or decorated cups in cups, nor plates on plates, if you do fuming will occur leaving a reverse image on whatever ware is over it. Example if cup #1 is decorated on the outside and placed into an undecorated interior of cup #2, after bisque firing you may see the exterior image of cup #1 on the interior of cup #2. It may not be as defined but an unwanted image nevertheless.

Fire each decorated piece on its own leave space between them or possibly fire foot to foot if you can.

Cobalt based underglazes are notorious for this. Be sure to use kiln wash on your shelves. Try to keep the decorated ware away from your posts also.

• 4 years later...

Lucille and Chris, I just read this question and your answers but I want to MAKE SURE.  I'm using Amaco underglazes on the underside of my pieces.  What you are saying is that I do not need to stilt these pieces in the bisque fire, correct?  They will not stick to the shelf?  Thanks in advance.  -Karen

They could stick a little bit. I stack kids pieces with underglazes and they often stick a bit, but it's not usually enough to do damage. However with kids' pieces it's harder to determine if any damage was done. :)  I would run a test first to be sure, as all underglaze brands are different. We use Speedball in my studio.

In respect to my experience with Amaco underglazes, no you do not need to do any stilting in your firings.

No, they will not stick to the shelf.

Our concern is that sometimes you get a vapor image during high firings. That means that when you lift the piece off the shelf you can see the pattern below it. Does not matter if it is just the kiln shelf below, but ruins a piece if you have them stacked and the image transfers to the dish below.

Make sense?

Also, just saw Neil's answer ... I too would be careful with kids stuff as they do tend to use a lot of underglaze ... Much more than the person paying for them would. : - )

• 1 month later...

Thank you so much for your replies.  I have another question about firing.  I believe I read somewhere that for glaze firing the little peep holes should be open.  (Or was it that they should be open for bisque firing??)  Can anyone steer me?  Also, has anyone experimented with the use of glass or glass marbles?  I bought a bowl at a potters' market where the potter used glass at the bottom of the bowl which looks awesome!  My question: can glass be used in both low and high fire?  I can imagine only high fire.  Thanks, everyone.  Love this forum.

There's a fair amount of discussion on the forum about glass in pots.  Do a search from the main page, NOT while in one of the topics.  Glass in functional ware is not advised since bits of glass will eventually splinter off.  Keep in mind, that while you might not intend something to be functional, who knows what the next person will do with the piece.  And, you might not intend the piece to go elsewhere,  but eventually it will....

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for your replies.  I have another question about firing.  I believe I read somewhere that for glaze firing the little peep holes should be open.  (Or was it that they should be open for bisque firing??)  Can anyone steer me?  Also, has anyone experimented with the use of glass or glass marbles?  I bought a bowl at a potters' market where the potter used glass at the bottom of the bowl which looks awesome!  My question: can glass be used in both low and high fire?  I can imagine only high fire.  Thanks, everyone.  Love this forum.

I've used marbles a number of times. Sometimes to cover a small s-cracks. I love the flow of the glass, especially if you use a contrasting Colour. I can tell you that the melting point of glass is high. I use a stoneware clay that fires to 1260 deg Celcius. The bowl attached has a nice separation of Colour

post-65376-0-47469500-1450357210_thumb.jpeg

post-65376-0-18945600-1450357236_thumb.jpeg

post-65376-0-81789500-1450357262_thumb.jpeg

post-65376-0-47469500-1450357210_thumb.jpeg

post-65376-0-18945600-1450357236_thumb.jpeg

post-65376-0-81789500-1450357262_thumb.jpeg

Andrea, those are very beautiful, but look to be about the right size for food.  Please see my previous post about the unsuitability of glass in pots that COULD be used for food.  There has been other discussion about that on this forum which you can easily find by doing a search from the main page.

Archived