Keraflex Procelain Sheets

I have been looking at an advertizement for "Keraflex" porcelain sheets. This is a new product that be cut with scissors or, when dampened, can be folded into a variety of shapes. Has anyone used this? How did you use it? Were you happy with the results?

Genelle

I bought some sheets but have not used them yet.

In their booth at NCECA they had numerous examples of it being used as vessels and decoration. They were even cutting it into thin strips and designs to apply to other porcelains as raised surface decoration. Looks like your imagination is the only limit on how you can use it.

I have not used them however just yesterday I was at an opening in Lisbon and saw that someone had used them. Unfortunately the student had not used them too their full or even minimal capacity. She just printed on them and formed a circle. Now the others who were unfamiliar with the product thought that tthe thinness was impressive. So, from my experience, unless you use them in some way that takes full advantage of the possibilities, jaded people like myself will come by and and say "keraflex"

I bought some sheets but have not used them yet.

In their booth at NCECA they had numerous examples of it being used as vessels and decoration. They were even cutting it into thin strips and designs to apply to other porcelains as raised surface decoration. Looks like your imagination is the only limit on how you can use it.

Let me know what you decide to do with them and how it turns out. I think they are cool but can't quite think of anything to do with them that would be unique and take advantage of the product.

Genelle

I have not used them however just yesterday I was at an opening in Lisbon and saw that someone had used them. Unfortunately the student had not used them too their full or even minimal capacity. She just printed on them and formed a circle. Now the others who were unfamiliar with the product thought that tthe thinness was impressive. So, from my experience, unless you use them in some way that takes full advantage of the possibilities, jaded people like myself will come by and and say "keraflex"

Yes, unless a person can come up with something that takes advantage of the product it is certainly a "why bother". Personally, so far I've drawn a blank (no pun intended).

Genelle

I think the only limit on the product is our imaginations ...

Perhaps potters just have a hard time looking at a flat sheet and imagining three dimensions??

Do we respond better to a block of clay rather than a sheet of it?

I was chatting with the rep in the booth and she thought one of their roadblocks to people using it was they only bought small packages of it and thus the product became 'precious' and no one used it! I had to admit that mine was still sitting around waiting for the perfect moment. Maybe this will turn into the perfect moment ... Everyone with precious sheets of it ... Make something!!

Well OK ... Then I'll use the flat sheets of fired porcelain I bought from Robin Hopper .......

Genelle

Keraflex have a Facebook Page https://www.facebook...41118149&v=info

You do not have to sign in to FB to access this. There are lots of photos and information suggesting different uses here, as well the opportunity to ask questions from the distributors.

There are also articles published in Ceramics Technical, Vol 25 and 30

Unglazed at top temperature it develops a sheen almost like a minimal salt firing would give.

For me Keraflex has all the properties and uses of ultra thin translucent slabs. It is only imagination that is needed.

Johanna

• 6 years later...

Archived