Alternative Firing

I was wondering if there is any alternative type of firing that doesn't require a bisque firing first. I am moving and will be without a kiln for quite some time. I will have a webber grill and a fire pit in the ground. Can I use a raku type clay and do a pit firing without bisqueing first or would everything crack? Thanks for any information you have.

I was wondering if there is any alternative type of firing that doesn't require a bisque firing first. I am moving and will be without a kiln for quite some time. I will have a webber grill and a fire pit in the ground. Can I use a raku type clay and do a pit firing without bisqueing first or would everything crack? Thanks for any information you have.

I think you should be fine firing the raku clay without bisquing, I was taught that the Japanese used to have raku celebrations and make their own mug and fire it later in the night and I have read several articles on firing in portable grills lately. Of course with either type of firing your going to run a greater risk of breakage and cracks. You might consider buying a test kiln that runs on 110, and working small for a while, when you get your studio back together you'll have a test kiln to use. When ever I have had no studio to use I take a class at a community center, spend a lot of time studying, researching and sketching. These forced breaks spread my wings a little more and make me a better artist. Denice

Archived