Sign in to follow this  
Evelyne

Ceramic Exhibition In New York City In October 2011 ?

HI !!!

I'll be in New York , just for a few days (with my son who now lives in Toronto) from 6th of october till 10th ..Do you know of a nice ceramic exhibition ? Is there a ceramic museum there ? and do you know of a nice , friendly and not too expensive place where we could stay for 4 or 5 nights ? I know it's probably not the right place to ask all this but honestly I didn't in which category to put my topic in !! (I'm writing from France, I know, it's not an excuse rolleyes.gif )..thanks for your help ..Evelyne

HI !!!

I'll be in New York , just for a few days (with my son who now lives in Toronto) from 6th of october till 10th ..Do you know of a nice ceramic exhibition ? Is there a ceramic museum there ? and do you know of a nice , friendly and not too expensive place where we could stay for 4 or 5 nights ? I know it's probably not the right place to ask all this but honestly I didn't in which category to put my topic in !! (I'm writing from France, I know, it's not an excuse rolleyes.gif )..thanks for your help ..Evelyne

Some of the best ceramic ware in the world is located at the Metropolitan Museum of Art located at 82nd street and 5th Ave in New York City. The numbers 1,2,3 and 4 southbound buses will take you there, they stop in front of the museum. If you want the best experience go on a Friday or Saturday. It is open late with live music, gift shops and restaurants located throughout the building. Some of the ware represented there are Egyptian, Greek, Islamic, European Decorative ware and Asian, Asia Minor, and modern/contemporary works. If you go to the website there is a lot of information on current exhibits, tours and planning your visit. http://www.metmuseum.org

There is a current ceramics exhibit even though you will not be in town at that time I am sure the exhibit guide book will be available. Many of the pieces can be viewed at the website.

Special Exhibition

Poetry in Clay: Korean Buncheong Ceramics from Leeum, Samsung Museum of Art

Apr 07, 2011–Aug 14, 2011

This exhibition focusing on buncheong ware, the bold and dynamic ceramic art that flourished in Korea during the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries, features approximately sixty works from the renowned collection of Leeum, Samsung Museum of Art in Seoul, Korea. Included in the exhibition are select works by modern/contemporary potters, highlighting how this tradition, which had disappeared in Korea for four hundred years, has been revived and transformed by today's artists. In addition, the exhibition features a handful of Edo-period Japanese ceramics from the Museum's permanent collection, illustrating Japanese revivals of the buncheong idiom.

Arts of Korea Gallery, 2nd floor

The museum is closed on Mondays.

As to the best places to stay I cannot be of help, sorry.

Thanks for all the informations ; I'll have a look !

As for accomodation I'll keep on looking on the internet ...I live in a tiny village in france (240 inhabitants) so I find it a bit difficult to appreciate distances ...but I suppose with the metro it must be easier to commute !!

All the best to all Evelyne

Hi Evelyne,

You might also want to check out Greenwich House Pottery. They always have excellent exhibitions. For other ceramic related options while you're in New York, browse the Ceramics Monthly Calendar. You can search for just events going on in New York.

http://cmcalendar.ceramicartsdaily.org/

Have a great trip!

Jessica

As for accomodation I'll keep on looking on the internet ...I live in a tiny village in france (240 inhabitants) so I find it a bit difficult to appreciate distances ...but I suppose with the metro it must be easier to commute !!

Evelyn, you said you are from a small town so these few tips may be helpful. When you are in New York City do not ask 'where is the 'Metro'? It is called the ‘subway’ or the ‘bus’. Be aware that it is a big city, a very BIG city with lots of people moving fast to and fro. So be cautious on subways and buses carry a large handbag with a zipped closure. Keep the bag close to you at all times.

Get a travel map of the city from the MTA, (Metropolitan Transit Authority) they have bus maps for all of the boroughs. You can call or go online and find out how to get to your destinations. MTA also provides a trip planner. http://http://www.mta.info/nyct/

One thing I overlooked about the bus lines I gave you in my last post, they are more precisely known as M1, M2, M3, M4 they start in Harlem going Southbound, then go down 5th Avenue along the east side of Central Park. North bound they are on Madison Avenue. So if you will be going north you will have to come up Madison and walk one block west to the Metropolitan Museum you will be able to see the museum from Madison Avenue.

I hope you have a good time. If you have any other questions about NYC I will be more than happy to answer if I can. I Love New York! I was born there.

Thanks again for everything !! I've already travelled to big cities and my English is good so I should be able to get by ; after the first 2 days my 23 year old son will be with me (he now lives in Toronto , so he's used to big cities..

I'm still looking for a place to stay , any parts of Manhattan I should avoid ? unsure.gif

Evelyne

Thanks again for everything !! I've already travelled to big cities and my English is good so I should be able to get by ; after the first 2 days my 23 year old son will be with me (he now lives in Toronto , so he's used to big cities..

I'm still looking for a place to stay , any parts of Manhattan I should avoid ? unsure.gif

Evelyne

It's not the avoidance it’s the savvy! If you go out at night be aware of your surroundings. There are wonderful things to do and places to go all over Manhattan from tip to tip. If I were to go as a visitor to New York City I would choose a hotel where I'd have a good choice of buses, trains and shopping centered around my itinerary. For me, that would be the best way to start. New York is also a good walking city so bring your walking shoes. Here is a short list of a few hotels eastside and westside I don't have the addresses though- but try the website below.

Loews Regency $500-$800/night-Central Park South

The Empire Hotel $400-$600/night-Westside

The Benjamin $500-$700/night -Eastside

The London $500-$700/night- Eastside(?)

Also try-http://newyorkcityluxuryhotels.com

Thanks again for your help ;

I know you're trying to help but I'm not looking for luxury accomodation ..at all...I just coudn't afford it !!

I might have found something cheaper that, according to previous visitors, should be pleasant and in Manhattan or Brooklyn .

I will let you know ...

I'll follow your advices as for transports ... I'm looking froward to it !!

Have a nice day ..potting ???

Evelyne

HI !!!

Try the Desmond Tutu Center at the General Theological Seminary in Chelsea at 180 Tenth Avenue. They rent rooms for about $200.00 per night when they are not booked for a conference. I see they are on Priceline. $200 is the best price you will get in NYC or vicinity.

Hi to everyone !

I have found a budget accomodation , fairly cheap , twin room , probably very very basic but we'll be out all day and just in the room for rest and sleep and for 3 nights only so it doesn't really matter as long as it is clean !

For us Europeans , American vistors in France are supposed to be well off so I suppose it's the same on your side of the Atlantic ocean wink.gif ..I'm not in that case once I've paid for my trip to Toronto to visit my son plus the flight back from New York to Paris ..I really have to cut costs but I still wish to enjoy my stay on your continent ..so thanks again for your help I'm going to print the posts about exhibitons and transport and keep it for october !

I really appreciate the time you spent giving me advice and trying to help me ..

Thanks again folks !

Evelynebiggrin.gif