Oxide Stains

I carve clay faces - and tiles with intricate designs. I want to just stain my pieces - so that the recesses are dark and the raised areas a lighter version of the stain - and have been using Mason Stains, with just water, with varying degrees of success.

I've purchased ferro frit 3110 - does anyone know how I should mix the stain, frit and water to accomplish my goal.? Or, anything else I need to do to get the result I want?

Thank you,

Susan McBride

I carve clay faces - and tiles with intricate designs. I want to just stain my pieces - so that the recesses are dark and the raised areas a lighter version of the stain - and have been using Mason Stains, with just water, with varying degrees of success.

I've purchased ferro frit 3110 - does anyone know how I should mix the stain, frit and water to accomplish my goal.? Or, anything else I need to do to get the result I want?

Thank you,

Susan McBride

Susan, I was reading recently in Vince Pitelka's book about this very subject. I believe the entire article is available on lone, i know it is in fact. so google his name.

A good mix taken from Val CUshing 's Handbook which reads

25% 3110

25% stain

25% ep kaolin

actually means 1/3 each. This works well for accenting textures but can blister under mid range glazes.

Marcia

Thank you, Marcia. I really appreciate the help. Will print this recipe and give it a try.

Archived