Run Away Electrical Kiln

24 hours into this weekend's bisque firing I knew something was up. This usually takes only 12 hours tops, but I still hadn't hit cone 04 yet.

Thinking I might had blown and element, I checked... looking through the spy-holes, I could see a representative section from each bank of the elements glowing.

Quizzed, I turned off the kiln, but the bottom bank went right on going even though the switch was turned to the off position.

Run Away Kiln

While I wait for the kiln to cool I'm wondering if anyone who has had this problem before can zero me in on the problem?

Really good questions. I'd appreciate knowing the details of your kiln: brand, size, special add-ons, age, etc.

I also fire electric, but both bisque and glaze (^5 & 6). This has never happened to me but the information from your experience will be a good body of information.

Kathy

My current studio kiln is an old Paragon . It's a 240 single phase DK 1029-2 rated to cone 8, but it'd be hard pressed to get to cone 8 now a days.

There aren't any special bells and whistles on this beast. No computer controller or kiln vents, just a kiln sitter and 3 knobs, each controlling a separate bank of elements.

I fire this old work horse 3 or 4 times a month to bisque and cone 6. Other than replacing a few rouge elements and the kiln sitter, it's been a very dependable kiln.

• 1 month later...

I have a similar problem with miy old kiln. It sticks on and the cone in the shut off switch melts but doesn't bend locking in the on position for hours until I turn it off. It's ruined a couple of lowfire glaze projects by melting the glazes.Any insight as to how to get the cones to work correctly all the time?

Archived