Budget For New Studio

Hello, I am new to the discussion. I am currently starting a budget for glaze chemicals. I need this information for my Senior Project at college. The temperture I will fire to will be cone 6. I also would like information regarding make my own clay or buying remade clay body. I remember seeing a list for the bare minimum but do not remember where the list is posted. Any help would be appreciated. thank you.

The first thing to do is look at your glazes and decide if you can get by with one or two base recipes with varying colorants for variety. Then figure out what you would need for the quantities you like to use..if you need 5 gallons or can use less amounts for the mix. Frits are expensive. Silica, ball clay and most kaolin are relatively less expensive.

As for clay, that also depends..if you like porcelain, that is expensive. If you can purchase 1000 pounds ot 2000 pounds at a time, you save money. I would check with your local supplier to see what their rates are.

If you can recycle your scraps back into a workable state, you save there.

Marcia

I think you have to begin with what you want to make ... This will define what equipment you need.

Then determine which clay you will need and how you want to fire

Then go to how you want to glaze it ... This will determine what glazes you need.

Then you need to know how much income you need to live on ...

Which determines how many you need to make ...

Which is the multiplier for clay and glaze cost calculations.

Are you budgeting for a one-person studio, or a group studio, or an institution-sized studio?

I have a one-person studio that fires to cone 6. I buy commercially prepared clay, about 2000 lbs of clay per year, which costs about $700 (including freight). I have spent between $80 and $250 per year on glaze materials. Over the years my glaze costs have gone down by a lot. I don't buy any commercial glazes anymore. I also don't experiment as much with glaze recipes, because I've settled into a palette that I really like. Therefore I don't buy lots of different glaze ingredients, just the ones I need.

Mea

• 4 weeks later...

A spreadsheet of your most common glaze recipes will help a lot - most suppliers give quantity discounts and you can see where your best price vs how much space in the studio you can designate for dry materials and clay. It will also help you plan out your oxide / opacifier / stain usage a little better - A pugmill would make your life a lot easier if you decide to make clay but I would highly recommend a commercially produced body and buying in bulk as the potters posting above have mentioned.

Another important thing to consider - your plumbing and electrical needs - I would talk to a good electrician or kiln installer in your area and see what that will cost, along with running a kiln vent if your kiln will be in your studio - wheels are easy - your regular electrical outlets with a good surge protector will work fine.

For your plumbing you'll need a homemade trap, a Gleco trap or a grease trap installed so you don't end up with costly repairs later :)

Archived