Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'toxicity'.
Found 3 results
Hi Folks, I have recently painted a simple design in Magnesium oxide over a white tin glaze which matures between 1100 and 1180 C. I read since then that Magnesium Oxide is one of the potters more toxic oxides . There is notoriously very little actual data about the safety of many glaze surfaces, but would anyone hazard an opinion as to the safety of this bowl for functional/ food use - given that the oxide is now securely bonded to a stable glaze? I would love to use/ give this bowl away, but am worried about the toxicity of the oxide which was only put on in a wash solution. Any info/ opinions on Magnesium oxide gratefully received. Wild goose
Hello, I recently finished my first teapot (I am a newcomer to ceramics as a college student) and was very proud of my piece. However, upon close inspection my professor remarked that the glaze I applied to the inside of the teapot, lithium blue, contained sodium carbonate and is considered toxic but quickly affirmed that it would not be too dangerous to ingest. Can anyone here attest to the danger (or lack thereof) of this chemical? I'm feeling discouraged and wonder if it will be safe enough to make tea with? I had planned on giving the teapot as a gift to my family for Christmas, but now, I'm really not sure I want to. Any thoughts/advice?? Please help!