Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'electric fired'.
Found 3 results
This was a new take on a design I've been doing awhile. It may have spurred a new variation on several of my usual pots. I'm excited to see what comes of it. The pattern at the bottom was created with paper resist and sgraffito. After bisque fired, black underglaze was applied and wiped back, then colorful accents added to the wings. It's finished with commercial ial glazes and fired to cone 6 in an electric kiln.
It only took 18 months (part-time) for me to learn about glazes and how to manipulate them to get results I want. I have read so much about glaze chemistry I feel like my head is going to exploded. For beginners I can't say enough about how helpful John Britts book, The Complete Guide to Mid-Range Glazes was. I want to thank everyone here at CAD for all your help also. So many great things have come out of this last firing even having over fired. I am posting just one of the glazes I have come up with. I replaced pic with a smaller one.
This vase is about 6 square. I threw it then carved grooves in the top and bottom. The grooved sections get a couple coats of black engobe because I like the way the glaze looks over the black. The middle is black engobe with paper branches then blue engobe then the paper is peeled off. It has commercial glazes and was fired to cone 6 in my electric kiln. I tried to get fancy with the picture.