Jump to content


  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Profile Information

  • Location
    Prescott, AZ

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

LeeAnets's Achievements


Member (2/3)



  1. Another question (as I have bought a used Brent slab roller, too) is what would you all suggest adhering new canvas to the shims with, if you are making your own replacements? (I just can't see opening $150 for a brand new shim.)
  2. Other attachments were on, but not cracked. One sculpture came out with no problems. Of course I have only bisque fired it so far.
  3. The slabs were wrapped in plastic and attached probably within 2 hours of making them. I worked on the main piece (walls and base) then added the main attachments next. I seriously doubt they were leather hard by that time, being wrapped tightly in plastic. Maybe my scoring is so visible because I am too aggressive with scoring?? Also, I used a ton of slip on both sides - the base and the attached piece(s). Now, I will say that I did attach them right away - should I wait a few minuted to let it absorb the slip more?
  4. Also, Pres, would you please tell me your recipe for magic water? There seems to be a lot of opinions on the subject out there...
  5. So as i have been studying this...I am wondering whether this was the culprit. And I am thinking about your pinhole idea, Pres. Here's why...after joining and paddling the pieces together (maybe not having enough pressure as well) I cleaned up the edges and smoothed the creases over with a tool and sponge. That might have sealed their fate, because in drying, there would have been no way for air to escape at all. Now, If I had joined them perfectly there may have been no need for any air to escape, but... What does everyone think?
  6. Here is the back of the piece I think you're talking about...
  7. I left each piece sitting under plastic for a week. Then removed the plastic and left them sitting for another two weeks. Although, especially looking at the second picture at the base of where the attachment was I wondered if there was something trapped under there.
  8. Great info and thanks for the link. I did have two survive the load and will go forward with glazing those. (Again, another reason I’m perplexed!) As soon as they finish I will post them. Thanks for asking! In the mean time, I will try some testing with different variables and see what happens. Thanks!
  9. Min - I did see slip come out; I always have to clean it up with a sponge. I do wiggle pieces together where I can (ie: especially vertical walls going onto a slab base), but I wouldn't know how to do that to the parts that wrap around the main structure. How do you giggle yours? Russ - I will keep that in mind. Many times it happens naturally in the process if I have scored, added slip, and then see my scoring isn't enough. Then I will rescore on top of the slip. Again though, I have no idea why this was the time that everything went nuts. I've never experienced such an unsuccessful bisque firing... Thanks everyone!
  10. Okay, thanks Mark C. Two things you said that it might be... I will try wrapping all slabs for a day before using them. I am also wondering if I did not use enough force when I paddled the pieces together - like you said. I may not have had enough "back" pressure behind it. Thank you.
  11. I've been doing clay for a while now, so not a total noob, but have had my biggest disaster in clay to date. I have to admit I have not done a ton of hand building in the last few years, but have done enough to know the basics. I was hand-building some larger pieces. Scored and slip attachments to sides. (The same way I have scored for ten years without having issues.) I dried them very slowly under plastic, as I live in northern Arizona and things dry way too fast here. They were built with Laguna's Rod's Bod. I built each piece one at a time, during the day, so the slabs would be close to the same moisture. I throw out my slabs for each piece all at one time, by hand, and finish by rolling them between dow rods to get thickness relatively close. I kept extra slabs covered while working on the main piece. The only thing I can think that may have had an effect was that I let these dry in my garage. (We just moved into this house, so I consider this a variable I haven't dealt with before. In my last house, I dried my hand built items inside the house, and had no issues.) My garage is not heated, but attached to the house, so it never got below 45 degrees F. But the temperature ranged from probably 70 F in the day to 45 F at night. It never fell below freezing, though. Everything looked fine, but when they were bisque fired, most of the attachments fell off. (see photos) Could the range of drying temperature have cause my problem? I am racking my brain trying to figure this out. Please help...
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.