All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. I got an update on the fair discussed above from some folks I know who actually sold at it. The first day was slow, but the second day they did twice as much. They probably sold half or less what they usually sell, but I would have been quite happy with the sales they made. They said that due to the signup schedule there was a steady flow of people all day, and it was very well organized. I have to admit I was shocked that it worked out that well. That said, if I had sold half what I normally do, it would not have been worth it for me with a $400 booth fee. I would rather put that money into some other endeavor. And for me personally I think it's not worth the health risk.
  3. You can put higher powered elements in it. You may be able to get those from the manufacturer, but if not you can get them custom made. The main issue with doing that is that the kiln will pull more amperage. That means you'll have to make sure all the wires, switches, relays, power cord, etc in the kiln (pretty much everything that the electricity runs through) can handle the higher amperage, and if not you'll have to upgrade it. You'll also probably need a new circuit breaker and wiring and maybe a new outlet, too. So it could get expensive really fast. Depending on the kiln and how big a change it is, you may not need to do much of anything else to the kiln besides the elements. Chances are the circuit breaker and wiring will need to be changed, though. If you're not familiar with electricity and kilns, it may be something you don't want to pursue unless the manufacturer has the elements and can tell you what needs to be done.
  4. We officially canceled our holiday show. Sad but necessary. I talked to an organizer in a city 3 hours away just to get a feel for what they were doing. They are going forth with their show in November. It is at a private school, and I didn't realize it was a fundraising opportunity for the school. They are going to do a ticketed, timed entry ticket in order to manage their crowds. Because it is a fundraiser she was very unconcerned about the vendors, their safety, and providing a good sales venue for them. I finished the conversation with her rather disappointed. Her job is to make money for the school. And that was her focus. But I would not want to be a vendor at that show. Oh wait....at any show....until the vaccine!!! I really had not thought about a non profit, for profit, or not for profit event until now......Thanks all for the info. Roberta
  5. I've got a small top loading kiln which states that the max firing temperature is 1000 degrees Celsius, however I really need to fire to Cone 6 (1240 ish). Is there any way a kiln can be converted or refurbished, or rewired in order for it to fire to a higher temperature?
  6. In another post you mention you are spraying glaze...are you doing this here?
  7. She didn’t feel her personal finances needed to be on the internet: not everyone is comfortable sharing specific numbers. If they were mine, you’d have them. She’s a very private, introverted person however, and I do want to respect that. Edited to add: Keep in mind I’m in Canada. While there are some parallels, our economies and cultures differ in some pretty significant places. If I did give you exact numbers, they’d be out of context. We don’t do art festivals and fairs on the same level you guys do, and consequently the monetary expectations are different. I wanted to give information that would let anyone apply the risk/reward evaluation to their own circumstances.
  8. That glaze does not look food safe at all-hope you know about that.
  9. What is that thick layer of white around the middle of the pot? Is that as it should be? It looks like maybe your glaze slid down.
  10. Yesterday
  11. Actually @Rae Reich, I don't press mold the feet so much as I make the with extruded pieces cut to length and added on. I have couple of different dies that I use in the hand electric extruder. best, Pres
  12. I don't think that would be necessary as bisque can withstand greater temperature variances far better than a matured claybody. My thought is it probably happened in the glaze cool down as the edges are sharp, if it was a crack that was there prior to glazing the glaze edge would be softened.
  13. How are you glazing? Interior first then the outside? Think your vessel is too wet on outside for enough glaze material to fix. Stirring glaze constantly essential. Looks like there has been a layer of almost water at top of your bucket and a wet pot immersed into this watery glaze. Does this glaze settle to a hard pan? Yeh, withMark.not for consumables
  14. Yes you can use sodium Silicate. Having to deflocculate glazes that contain gerstley borate is fairly common due to its tendency to "gel"
  15. Wonder if crack occurring during bisque. Wipe with a wettish cloth. Sometims minute cracks become evident after bisque if doing this. Are they "floating" on sand or coils , during glaze firing. How fast is your kiln dropping on colling?
  16. wonderful write up, thanks! Its unfortunate she won't tell us 50% of what as it still leaves me no feeling of whether its worth even trying one or not. I wonder why giving a net number felt wrong to her?
  17. yeah I think they take out the sign up times and lower the booth fee they get both some vendors and some customers to give it a go. At $400 though I bet its canceled.
  18. And worse, in my book, there is no written documentation of the complete operation of the KMT. There is what amounts to a quick start, and then all further information is supposedly available only through the on-screen help button, which is rather useless if one does not actually have one at hand. The Genesis has a reasonably full user manual available - a printed copy included with the purchase or online if you haven't yet purchased it.
  19. put me down for thinking its a great discussion as well. We all want our lives back and our shows happening again. Ya know while it is disheartening that there are those who still refuse to help us all out by wearing a mask I will say the mandate has made a huge difference in my area. Before my city passed the ordinance I would go to Lowes and I mean there were a handful of old people wearing mask, including the clerks and managers. That was particularly annoying because I had to deal with them. Now I go to Lowes and 99% if not 100% are all wearing them. Sure there's the burly tough guy without one but man what a difference. I get that its no guarantee but they are saying if everyone has a mask on the chances go way down and even that one guy whose holding out doesn't come close to negating the positive effect the new mandates are having. Most people will comply and before it seemed to me anyway that almost no one did it on their on (at least here).
  20. This is a good idea. For some reason, my last batch of AR was super "fluffy" for lack of a better word. 2 of my other glazes were as well, and appeared thicker despite the SG measuring the same as my last batch. I suspect it's the difference between the old chemicals I inherited and the new chemicals I've purchased. I can defloc with sodium silicate yes?
  21. Yes there are -I have one.all Manuel-justr perfect for an occasional bisque load .
  22. Try deflocculating it instead of watering it down. It seems to help in a lot of circumstances where layers crack or melt when double/triple dipping
  23. I don't know why Skutt insists on 'simplifying' their controllers. The KM is a dumbed down version of the V6-CF, so you lose the two bisque and two glaze options. The KMT is a version of the Genesis, but you lose certain options with it, too.
  24. @Katie Piro yes, programming is easy once one understands the logic of the controller and the technical requirements of clay and glaze. I have several very complicated custom programs for my crystalline glazes. But for many hobby potters, the simplicity of the cone fire method means they don't have to know all the details, it just works. And the quick link to a slow cool in the old controller gave them easy access to one more very useful option, no matter what cone. Now, one must program the whole thing, and know how to change it (or establish another program number) if you want to go to a different cone or change your ending hold for whatever reason. IMO, this is not an improvement for the average hobby potter who went to art school, not engineering school. and @Mark C., yes, one more of several reasons I too prefer L&L. But because people know I know kilns, they ask me which to buy or how to use the one they bought. There are a lot of Skutts out there.
  25. I looooove using broccoli elastic bands. Plus i lose them constantly and they are cheap. I'm struggling with my Alabama rain sliding off my mug trims when I layer over my other glazes. I'm going to try to thin it to keep some on the rim but I'm struggling because the thing I love about the glaze (super dreamy drips and swirly movement) seems to be what is pulling my glaze off the rim. Also please excuse my zombie reanimation of this thread.
  26. I had a subscription. The latest one I can find the label indicates my subscription was through 2017, but I don't see anything in my checkbook to indicate a renewal. Polly was a notable in the local clay community here, and it was nice to have this great magazine with local roots. Polly had some hard times happen in her personal life, and then she moved to Florida and the magazine sorta fell off the horizon. Interesting to see this new website suggests she is doing something with it, but alas, none of the links resolve to a functional page to buy anything.
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.