All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Don't remember the last time I logged in, just leave a tab open in Chrome and it's there ready and waiting. Don't we have a delay feature where new users have to answer questions and be approved? Agree on Captcha.
  3. I see lots, must be the time of day I'm usually here. Although there has been much less that a year or 2 ago.
  4. From a buyer point of view, I don't understand Etsy. I can never find what I'm looking for, even when I know it's there. Searching is hopeless. (I nearly said the seaching feature, but there is no feature). I haven't found out how to filter or sort. I don't think eBay or Amazon are the place to buy hand-made stuff, but at least as buying "places" they do have search features.
  5. As above, plus moulds have a life of 20-30 castings before they start to deteriorate. (Put simply, one of the slip ingredients eats plaster.) In commercial slip-casting they are replaced regularly.
  6. Cracks usually end/start in a sharp point. Holes are smooth.
  7. My garden is on "naturally occurring clay". Plants thrive in it. It's me the gardener who doesn't like it, sticky, hard to dig, waterlogged in (a wet) winter, cracked wide open in (a hot) summer. Dumping processed clay on top of whatever the natural ground is composed of is no different to dumping rubbish or plastic. You're changing it.
  8. Today
  9. My first pottery teacher's answer was "you can't" when I pushed further she said "it won't work". When I pushed even further she said "try it!" I did. She and @neilestrick were right. It doesn't work, but don't let us stop you trying! And if you're tempted to try the other way, ^04 glaze in a ^6 firing, be sure to use a large cookie/catcher under your pot to catch the over-melted glaze and slumped clay.
  10. Hi, I bought this sticker holder from Japan this year. I'm very interesting on the glaze and the pattern above it. But I have no idea about how to have that effect, it would be helpful if guys share your ideas for me. Thanks Ming
  11. Somewhere in the internet world is an article that describes what happens when you ad not enough/ just right/ too much deflocc. I'll see if I saved it. Found it: https://static1.squarespace.com/static/527ac372e4b0d4e47bb0e554/t/527fd7f1e4b0c046bfa9b90d/1384110065234/Dispersant+Addition+Procedures.pdf
  12. You can try. Warm the piece first, it helps the underglaze to dry and stick to the now non-absorbent piece. If you don't like what you have, you have nothing to lose.
  13. Good morning, I'm new to the forum and I'm not sure if it's the right site, otherwise my apologies in advance. I intend to reform is outside. I would like to pave and partially around the pool and create a path through the Garden. I am looking at several options, currently I have doubts between extruded ceramic tiles and porcelain. Does anyone know or have previous experience with these types of materials? I provide additional information on concrete materials: https://www.extceramic.es/producto/denia/ https://www.small-size.com/alsacia/ Thank you in advance
  14. Hi, I have problems trying to find the answers to this question. I want the "paint" I use to be something like China ink, but that it doesn't run and that fires well to cone 10 without loosing color. Thank you for your help!
  15. Yesterday
  16. I was sent exact dimensions and product photos. If they like the prototypes they'll send some finished examples so I can see more closely. I've already thrown 4, have thrown spouts and pulled handles so I should have some finished by tonight.
  17. I bought a porcelain mug with a lovely frosty blue glaze and an exposed 1 1/2" bottom area. First use with Lemon Zinger tea revealed a hairline crack going up the exposed area. I suspect that the thickness of the wall as well as the tension between glazed and unglazed both contributed to the fail, but also the relative density of porcelain Exposed porcelain will never really look pristine again after it leaves the kiln. Granite stoneware still looks fine after 20+ years. Most red stone wares also still look good with no staining.
  18. Good luck Liam! Do the have to contain an exact amount of fluid? Friend was making 1litre port bottles with elaborate label...clay sprigged on. She nailed it for years. Hot summer temps sent her crszy though
  19. Thanks Liam. Appreciate your help

Regards richard 

20. The cone 6 glaze will be very under fired at 04. Most likely it will be very dry, having not melted.
  21. Is it ok to mix mid-fire and low fire glazes on the same piece and fire at cone 04? What happens with the cone 6 glaze when it is fired at cone 04 temps? Thanks
  22. Hi, I'm new here but my 2 cents - I think it's a good idea but using Google auth is too slow, need to enter numbers. But there is other 2 factor auths - email link and etc, even QR cod scan will be better instead of entering numbers from the app. Regards, Ross
  23. I have been glazing and firing bowls all weekend, no surprise. But today I am making a few carafes for a company on the east coast to see if they'd like to do business with me. Just a little commission gig to get some money flowing. Supposedly 20 a month at 40 a piece, that's at least enough spending cash to buy more clay and feed my real addiction lol.
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.