All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. If an unseen crack can cause a pot to go "thunk" instead of ring, then why do luminaries with many holes ring? It doesn't make sense to me. An unseen crack is like a hole. Also, should a pot with an unseen crack leak?
  3. Interesting. What I hear you saying is that clay disposal is harmful to the environment because it suffocates plant life. Is that correct? What about naturally occurring clay? Would you consider that to be environmentally unfriendly as well? Because that stuff suffocates plant life too. As far as eliminating a job for a person who really needs it, yeah that sucks. But we don't keep jobs around because people need them. We create jobs because they engage a need that the business has.
  4. Today
  5. Hi Good! Potential for stain and/or mold greater for clays with high(er) absorption (at full maturity); darker clays may not show staining as much... Probably a bad idea to let any unglazed piece that has high absorption soak in dishwater, whether it's just a bare foot ring or a lot more, as in your pic. Wash, dry. Another concern may be lower strength, particularly at the glazed/unglazed transition. Where the glaze ends at a buttressed point - at the foot ring or opposite the transition arc bottom to wall - lower strength less of a concern? If I were planning to leave a large patch of bare clay, slightly thicker clay at that transition, and a thorough burnishing of the surface as well. What constitutes "low absorption" rate then? ...oh, probably less than two percent? Aardvark SBF is rated 1.5% - bare and burnished, it's almost like matte finish glass...
  6. Only weakness is slight structural weakness and +5 damage to sponges. I do a lot of my bowls this way for extra grip and tactile texture
  7. Hello I've seen quite a few mugs where they only glaze the top half of the mug... I was just wondering if there are negatives to this, such as stains/moisture/mold... to the bottom half?
  8. I do all my decorating with commercial underglazes. They're much simpler to deal with than colored slips, and I can touch up areas on bisque if needed. The mug in my avatar is Speedball Yellow-Orange, but the glaze over it is a cream/beige color so it tones it down a bit. The yellow I use is Speedball Yellow mixed with a bit of Yellow-Orange in a 6:1 ratio. The yellow is way too bright otherwise. The yellow-orange addition turns it a little more golden. I always use the cream glaze over the yellow, too. When I mix underglazes, I do it by weight, because it's difficult to measure them out by volume since they stick to the container.
  9. I have apower sponger but a large wet sponge works as well
  10. This info is for the people who have JBruce's solution or want to make it happen. I created a little Node Red flow so i get a Telegram message on my phone in case anything happens with my kiln. In short, this gives a telegram message when: 1. The kiln-controller service starts/stops, 2. When and which schedule is started, 3, If a stop command is received, 4, when the schedule is finished. Besides that, there are 2 other currently unused functions, the current temp and the target temp. I left these out of scope, since i am going to use these values to send them to my home automation dashboard with some other stats. Some info: Node Red itself: https://nodered.org/ Node Red (raspberry howto): https://nodered.org/docs/getting-started/raspberrypi Required Node: node-red-contrib-telegrambot-home How to use this ? Get Node Red up and running, ad the node node-red-contrib-telegrambot-home and restart node red (see howto above). Adjust the text in the "switch" node accordingly to what's in your daemon.log file (tail -f -n 30 /var/log/daemon.log) on your Pi. Since i'm a Dutchman, you probably have to change some values ;-). For Telegram you have to use Google, but it's not hard to accomplish. After that, you have to import the following flow in Node Red: [{"id":"5ac7f985.3ec418","type":"tab","label":"Kiln Control Info","disabled":false,"info":""},{"id":"2b57b4be.0c99bc","type":"debug","z":"5ac7f985.3ec418","name":"","active":false,"tosidebar":true,"console":false,"tostatus":false,"complete":"payload","targetType":"msg","x":730,"y":180,"wires":[]},{"id":"37f25f28.17203","type":"tail","z":"5ac7f985.3ec418","name":"tail","filetype":"text","split":"[\\r]{0,1}\\n","filename":"/var/log/daemon.log","x":90,"y":200,"wires":[["417cc45c.90389c"]]},{"id":"417cc45c.90389c","type":"switch","z":"5ac7f985.3ec418","name":"","property":"payload","propertyType":"msg","rules":[{"t":"cont","v":"Stopping kiln-controller","vt":"str"},{"t":"cont","v":"Started kiln-controller","vt":"str"},{"t":"regex","v":"(?<=temp=)[0-9]*.[0-9]","vt":"str","case":false},{"t":"regex","v":"(?<=target=)[0-9]*.[0-9]","vt":"str","case":false},{"t":"regex","v":"INFO oven: Running schedule.*","vt":"str","case":false},{"t":"regex","v":"Stop command received","vt":"str","case":false},{"t":"regex","v":"INFO oven: schedule ended, shutting down","vt":"str","case":false}],"checkall":"true","repair":false,"outputs":7,"x":250,"y":200,"wires":[["3e931766.8cf3b8"],["3832b2a7.b0484e"],["2b57b4be.0c99bc"],["2b57b4be.0c99bc"],["2b57b4be.0c99bc","d23247ab.d57328"],["d23247ab.d57328"],["d23247ab.d57328"]]},{"id":"3832b2a7.b0484e","type":"change","z":"5ac7f985.3ec418","name":"Oven Service gestart","rules":[{"t":"set","p":"payload","pt":"msg","to":"Oven Service gestart","tot":"str"}],"action":"","property":"","from":"","to":"","reg":false,"x":460,"y":140,"wires":[["d23247ab.d57328","2b57b4be.0c99bc"]]},{"id":"3e931766.8cf3b8","type":"change","z":"5ac7f985.3ec418","name":"Oven Service gestopt","rules":[{"t":"set","p":"payload","pt":"msg","to":"Oven Service gestopt","tot":"str"}],"action":"","property":"","from":"","to":"","reg":false,"x":460,"y":100,"wires":[["d23247ab.d57328","2b57b4be.0c99bc"]]},{"id":"d23247ab.d57328","type":"telegrambot-notify","z":"5ac7f985.3ec418","name":"","bot":"xxxx","chatId":"xxxx","message":"","parseMode":"","x":740,"y":260,"wires":[]},{"id":"765afbc.1ab1704","type":"telegrambot-config","z":"","botname":"xxxx","usernames":"","chatIds":"xxxx","pollInterval":"300"}] If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Cheers
  11. The local clay was more a silt and good as a substitute for Barnard or Albany slip. We were never fortunate enough to find a throwing body other than a fun, earthenware experiment. Shale is another source for clay. It was more work but the road trips are fun and the work is worth the results.
  12. Mixed clay is made up of several different types of clay that were dug from pits. Just throwing it on the ground is not sending the clay back to mother earth in it's original form. It took thousands of years for mother earth to grind out these pits. You are also eliminating a job for a person who may really need a job to a giant clay factory. I use to make my own clay but finally got too busy, old and tired but I never quit recycling. I met a potter who didn't recycle, it was a shocking mess and a blight on the landscape. She was dumping five gallon buckets of clay near a small pond, over the years it had become such a mucky mess she couldn't get very close to the water. Her clay Stonehenge sat there baking in the Kansas sun, no vegetation in sight, suffocated by the layers of clay. Denice
  13. Neil, Could you please tell us about the yellows you used on your striped mug? Cynthia
  14. Piece of wet carpet or stiff sponge in cat litter tray or smaller. Wax, glaze, swipe across wet carpet/ spongr in tray or rotate a bit on wet carpet in tray.
  15. Hi everyone - What is the best way to clean the glaze off the feet of hundreds of cups before firing? I currently wax, then sponge but it’s getting a bit tedious! Any clever solutions? Trays of flowing water? thanks, Mark
  16. Hi all, Second time posting here and I’m hoping you can help! Hopefully this is the right place to be for a troubleshooting question like this. Im currently working from a recipe for Val Cushing’s Cone 6 Porcelain Slip. grolleg: 15% tile 6: 15% Epk: 3% om4: 10% flint: 25% neph sy: 30% gerstley borate: 2% —————————— Sodium silicate: .0028% calgon: .0005% When I mixed this before, as now, I subbed the deflocculants with Darvan. I mixed it successfully then, but I’m currently have difficulty. I know that darvan generally subs for sodium silicate at 2-1, so bearing that in mind, that’s where I started. I kept adding darvan in small 5g increments up to 100g in a 10000g recipe. That seems like far too much, but maybe I’m wrong? I feel like I’m on the other side of that deflocculation bell curve some how and missed my mark. Every time I come back to the studio the slip is gelled thick but never settled and never develops a skin. When I’ve added more darvan, the slip temporarily thins, but seems to rebound to being too thick the next day. Can the casting process indicate overdeflocculation? If so, in what ways? What should I be looking out for other than settling and a skin in my bucket? Can anyone offer any advice on this recipe or deflocculants? I’ve been doing some hard research and testing and can’t nail it down. My current gravity is measuring at 1.71, so I’m hesitant to add more water, since according to some other online sources I should be aiming between 1.7 and 1.8. I’m wondering if I should throw caution to the wind and say “this slip just needs more water than most”. Ive mixed this slip before with great success two years ago. I have no clue what I did right then. Dumb luck haha. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  17. Sorry for a not feel good reply but Is there an infinite supply of suitable clay into the future. It's not all about the $ all the time is it? Take a visit to where your clay is sourced. Surely as individuals we can get rid of the throw away buy new because we can mentality. Go look at your footprint. Think of your kids and their kids and so on. No apologies just my thoughts. Try to source another employee with the skills you are losing. The fact you are asking the question on a forum can reinforce flawed concepts sometime.
  18. You want to final fire all clays to their mature temperature. With raku and saggar firings being the exception. If you glazed and fired to cone 06 and your clay is supposed to fire to cone 10, it will be extremely fragile, will leak fluids, and you may run into glaze fit issues.
  19. I just had a successful cone 04 bisque fire with porcelain clay. I have cone 9/10 glaze that I will use in the next steps. Question: what benefit do I get by glazing and firing to cone 10 as opposed to just using low fire glazes and firing this porcelain bisque to cone 06? Do I get a better product at a higher temp?
  20. Perfect! I sent the info along to the gallery manager, much appreciated. The only hurdle I can see is getting vendors to print the barcoded price stickers but I'll let the gallery figure that one out. I think the worst case scenario is the gallery prints them off for vendors who can't do it themselves, which should be doable.
  21. Yesterday
  22. I put down a layer of wax, scratch my initials through the wax with a needle tool, fill them in with underglaze, and wipe off the excess.
  23. That's probably a custom made extruder, and it's much better for extruding those small coils than a typical wall mount would be. However it would not be good for extruding much else. For one, it's terribly slow. If I were to do something like that which requires a lot of force to move clay through a tiny hole, I'd modify a car jack. It would be a lot less effort than turning that screw. Notice how much force it takes for him to turn it.
  24. I don't do any recycling at my studio. It's not worth the time and money. Lots of full time potters do not recycle, because their time is better spent making pots or doing other things related to running their business. Do not feel guilty about it. If you can donate it to someone who can use it, then do. But if not, it's just going to go back into the ground.
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.