All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Im the Plumber from Fallonator.com I interested in talking Reduction in electric kilns. send me a email
  3. Thanks OldLady, I should have been more clear in my post. Tags and inventory on a spreadsheet isn't a problem, it's the time the staff at the gallery need to spend getting the sales to the correct vendors that's the bottleneck.
  4. Thanks for your responses. I think what you all said is pretty much what I expected. I know the pitting isn't really a problem, just thought the coating might prevent the aluminum from reacting with porcelaneous clays. I certainly don't want paint bits in my clay! I think I'll just leave it alone!
  5. Today
  6. How about moving the kiln? Depending on the size of the kiln, forklift access would probably be necessary. I'd worry about damaging a used brick kiln moving it. I've never done it personally, but it seems to me like a headache. My propane kiln is much cheaper to fire than my electric kiln. Based on per cubic measurement.
  7. the gallery in frederick, md has used square for years. recently got a new terminal because the old one was unreliable. even i can use it now. our members are "categories" and their inventory lists are varied. some potters number every single pot with a brief description. their numbers range into the thousands. i was advised to list my items by price, calling the first one 001 and its price, going upward from there. i have 21 price points and i do not feel the need to identify things more closely. some have a group of pots identified by price and color. tags read Initials of the potter, inventory number 22 C to indicate the price and the color. that way, they can list 10 items as bowls at $35 and this one is green. letter D might be for brown. saves the cashier time searching for that particular item at sale time. to work the tags must be correct. the only problem i know of is the initials of the potter, they must be distinct so checks can be mailed to the correct person. (i have never seen as many AB names in my life!!) i could use some actual training on using it's features more efficiently but it seems to do the job very well.
  8. overheard at local JC ceramic lab "Manhandle the clay" "Be gentle with the clay" "Respect the clay" "Rule the clay" "Feel the clay" Each has some merit ...feel and respect covers it f'me tho'
  9. I've used Blick for Speedball underglazes; they have periodic sales as well https://www.dickblick.com/products/speedball-ceramic-underglazes/ ; looks like Clay-King beats'm by a bit...
  10. No foot at all really, Babs. The outside line of the pot was just straight down the wall (right past the level of where the bottom was inside) with a slight turn in at the very bottom outside to create a small shadow line. Amazing how it almost sheared off all the way around, just slightly below the level of the inside bottom.
  11. Here is a lot of info on electric reduction https://puttgarden.com/.../Vendors/fallon/fallonator.html
  12. I'm participating in a 1 month Christmas gallery sale where there are multiple vendors (approx 45). The gallery manager used QuickBooks last year but found it too time consuming to enter the sales data for each of the vendors. They are trying Square this year, but are looking for other options going forward if Square doesn't work out. Basically they need to be able to upload our inventory sheets and keep track of the sales for each vendor. Does anyone have any alternate recommendations for accounts software?
  13. Curt did you trim a distinct footring or did your pot taper/trimmed to a base?
  14. Had exactly this happen with a 15” round casserole dish I made out of a nice porcelain. First use in the oven the whole bottom cracked off just around the foot ring so neatly that I was able to save the (slip decorated) bottom and turn it into a nice cheese plate. Fine, tight clay bodies with small particle size and lots of glass in them when fired, do not like thermal shock is what I learned from that. So I would bet that the clay body is the issue in that use.
  15. Yesterday
  16. I never log in to the forums other than from my personal desktop... and rarely log out - but I would agree with Liam and Bill ... a captcha would be a much better option, than having to remember four different 'passwords'. (I may only have to answer one question each time I log in, but I still have to remember all three answers, because I don't know which question will be asked each time... of course, unless the system is designed to prevent doing so - one could provide the same answer to each question.) One of the downsides of security questions: Many sites that use that method use the same 'standard' list of questions... (Where'd you go to school, who was your first boss, where'd you meet your spouse, what was your first pet's name, what was your first car, etc...) If one provides the 'real' answer each time one of these question is used, it increases the risk of other, more sensitive logins being compromised if any of one of those sites are hacked. The alternative is to make up a different answer each time, and remember, or otherwise keep track of, which answer you gave on which site.
  17. We use them all but Amaco is popular locally. I definitely would encourage trying the matte over, you may really like the effect
  18. The IPad is auto login so it’s the only device, the rest would be as I described.
  19. Thanks Hulk and indeed an observation worth noting... Respect for self, respect for object ,respect for maker ,respec for clay, respect for the environment from which it came and so on.
  20. You log in every time you come to the forum? That's like several times a day.
  21. Under edge or anything serious, each time. On the iPad, never, allow auto login. Android device, each time I believe. If I am on a serious machine, I likely won’t login if my user name and password isn’t fresh in my head. I just counted I have very close to 200 Really strong passwords and likely three times as many authentication challenges in secure storage that I need to maintain.
  22. I get logged out on my computer for some reason, but on my phone I can't even remember the last time. It doesn't make this a good tool to stop spam though. Having made some automation tools in my past, two of the same factor (something you know) will stop no bots, but it will be annoying. Add something you have (phone, desktop/mobile app) and you can end the bots for good. Can't really use the third option (something you are), because it's now illegal in some states and countries (biometric data eye/face/fingerprint)
  23. @liambesaw @Bill Kielb How often do you actually log in? I haven't logged out in months.
  24. Still annoying, I’ll take text or captcha if forced to. Liam is right, two of the same factor is just annoyance to me
  25. This isn't 2 factor authentication. It's two of the same factor (something you know). How about a captcha or something less annoying than typing out what is essentially one of three second passwords.
  26. @Bill Kielb, to clarify, you would only have to answer the three questions when you initially set it up. When you log in, you would only have one question asked. Thanks, Jen
  27. A text authorization would be acceptable, three questions is annoying
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.