All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Today
  3. The Art Students League of Denver and Plinth Gallery Present a Demonstration Workshop and Exhibit: “Narrative Through Clay” with Visiting Artist Kevin Snipes (https://kevinsnipes.com/) Thursday, October 3, 2019 - Artist Talk at ASLD - 200 Grant Street 6 -7:30pm Friday, October 4, 2019 - Exhibit Opening Reception at Plinth Gallery - 3250 Brighton Blvd. -- 6:00-9:00pm http://www.plinthgallery.com/ Saturday and Sunday, October 5-6, 2019 - Demonstration Workshop at ASLD -- 10am- 4pm The demo workshop will challenge you to consider the ceramic object as a canvas for storytelling. Kevin will discuss the development of his work and artistic inspirations and will demonstrate how he builds his porcelain thrown, altered and hand-built forms. He will demonstrate a variety of techniques that he uses to produce his wonderfully colorful, layered, intricate surfaces using a variety of traditional techniques and discuss how he uses these techniques in nontraditional ways to explore pop culture, contemporary life, narrative and art. Formal design, composition and meaning will be addressed, historical and contemporary resources will be referenced for creative inspiration, and dialog about the social relevance of creating narrative ceramic vessels will be encouraged. To Register, please call 303-778-6990, or register online at: https://asld.org/kevin-snipes-october-2019/ Thanks! Shelley Schreiber Ceramics Studio Manager Art Students League of Denver s.schreiber@asld.org
  4. Call for Entries: The Art Students League of Denver will be hosting delecTABLE: The Fine Art of Dining - Fifth Biennial Juried Exhibit of Functional Ceramics in April-May 2020. This is a national exhibition of ceramic works from artists across the United States chosen to represent the best in contemporary tabletop clay. The exhibit will feature ceramic works by juried artists, juror Liz Zlot Summerfield, the ASLD ceramics faculty and 'cuisine themed' two dimensional artwork by select artists. Juror: Liz Zlot Summerfield Eligibility: Open to US ceramic artists over age 18. Apply at www.CallforEntry.org between October 1, 2019 and January 19, 2020. Exhibit Dates: April 17 - May 22, 2020 Visiting Artist Workshop with Liz Zlot Summerfield: May 2-3, 2020 For further info, please contact s.schreiber@asld.org
  5. That's quite possible. Your sitter rod appears to be in great condition, so I'd try the new cones and see how it goes.
  6. If it fully vitrifies at cone ten firing less will mean it’s not fully vitrified and likely more absorbent as well as not as strong as fully vitrified.
  7. Yesterday
  8. I was given some clay to try that is cone 8-10. I am currently firing to a cone 6 with a cone 6 clear glaze. What would be my problems if I only fired this clay to cone 6 ?
  9. The cones 04 and 05 that I have (multiple boxes) were all given to me with the kiln. Do you think it’s possible that all of those boxes are just defective, perhaps they got too damp or something?
  10. Oh! That is definitely useful information but that was a box a new cones that I haven’t used yet, Cone 6. The others, the ones that broke in firing, were already snapped apart, Cones 05 and 04. I just used the cone 6’s for example. But I definitely didn’t know that I needed to break these ones apart when I do use them. So thank you!!
  11. AHA! If you're doing it like you show in the video, you're using 2 cones. They come hooked together in pairs, and you have to snap them apart and just use one. When you put in in the sitter, have the rod resting on the spine, with the little number facing toward the opposite wall.
  12. The rod that rests on top of the cone barely requires any force to adjust. It moves freely and smoothly.
  13. It has 2 rings, so 2 jumper cords. They probably just built the control boxes with 3 plugs as the standard, and used them on all 2 and 3 section kilns. As long as you're using the correct plugs and switches. When you said they cones were snapping, I was expecting to see them at least partially bent before breaking, but yours appear to have broken before they ever got soft. There must be some adjustment out of whack in your sitter. Is the rod that sits on top of the cone resting lightly on the cone, or do you have to force the cone into place between the rod and bottom rests? If you have to force it at all, then chances are the rod is bent and should be replaced.
  14. It has 3 rings. Here are the broken cones and I am not home currently but I have some photos in my phone of the kiln, give me a few minutes to find them.
  15. How many sections/rings does your kiln have? Please post a picture of the entire kiln, and a pic of your broken cones.
  16. I had this issue late last year but had a few successful firings since then, so I thought I had resolved this but now my cones are snapping during firing, instead of bending. It happens sometime after I switch gauges from medium to high. It’s happened in three bisque firings in a row. I used three different boxes of cones for each firing, I feel eliminating the chance that the issue is with the cones themselves. Cones 04 and 05 were used. I have an old L&L Econo Kiln, manual. This is my first kiln and I am very green but I’m learning. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to fix this? Also, I am wondering if there is supposed to be a plug for outlet #2? See photo please TIA
  17. Started a firing last night, something told me no right. I turned it off and waited til it cooled but, not before I noticed top coil was not firing. Later found that the SC-20 fuse on the right side on top layer was blown! No replacements until this morning with a walk to Ace Hardware. Firing now

1. Show previous comments  1 more
    2. Denice

Denice

I am  glad you listen to your gut,  I get  gut feeling also.   I almost lost a lot of money not listening to my gut.   It was a big decorating job  of a well know local celebrity.   They had fired the decorator and wanted me to take over the job.  I didn't want to do it  but friends and relatives talked me into it.  Before I had any time or money invested in it they decided to give the last decorator another chance.  I was so relieved,  later in the year I found out that they didn't pay any of their subcontractors.  I could have lost $50,000 on a job like that.   I don't let anyone talk me in to something I have a bad gut feeling about anymore.    Happy birthday,  I will be 67 October 15.   Denice

3. Pres

Pres

70 here folks, thanks for the best wishes!

best,

Pres

4. Pres

Pres

8 pm, Kiln dropping ^5 right now, 

best,

Pres

18. At least it was a good time to clean out the shop! best, Pres
  19. Just a suggestion, Perfect time to label LED light bulbs only! Only a few watts of heat instead of 40, 60, 100 .... watts
  20. The You Tube vids might get you started. There's a box of Plainsman and a bat rack in the background - looks like a studio! - and it's fairly clean, good sign there. The tools required are indicated. Looks like the tech is fairly handy, however, likely has not performed this repair enough times for it to have become rote; it's a start, eh? There's some helpful notes in the comments. The bearings listed should be easy to get; hold out for abec-5 (fwiw, I find abec-5 hold up longer over abec-3 in bicycle hubs...). I put new bearings in the freezer to shrink them a little, and the part receiving the bearing in the sun or some other warm place. I have a threaded bearing press and drifts, hence no hammering on new bearings; for cases where my press won't fit, a drift that makes contact with the outer race is what I want, and gentle taps on said drift, not the bearing, ahem. Watch that the bearing stays square inna hole! Grease both the bearing and the part against next time (another use for Dow #41 Bill!); I also treat all threaded fasteners with anti-sieze; it's a habit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIa09XbXa8U https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0IbUw77JxU A few more links to explore: https://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/topic/16917-wheel-head-bearing-service/ http://thelivingdeeps.blogspot.com/2011/09/shimpo-rk-2-rebuild.html http://www.clay-king.com/pottery_wheels/shimpo_pottery_wheels/pdf/rk_manual.pdf https://kruegerpottery.com/collections/rk-whisper-parts wd-40, lol! ...better than nothing, better than dirt... use proper lube for the job, jeez https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0010/1931/4239/files/rk-whisper-troubleshooting.pdf?14845495635736994425
  21. I'm thinking it was only ^04. Haven't used them for a while, but it was mainly for bits for christmas mobiles, so wouldn't have needed to be be fired any higher.
  22. My current box has plug in for the motor and foot peddle. To reverse the motor you just move the plug over 1 pin. The unit is so old that the plug has a standoff below it made of wood. You can just see it in the pic. If I knew it was that old I would have passed on it but into it now with a new bearing and belts. New resistors should arrive Wednesday. .
  23. Last week
  24. I agree with you that making a mold and slip casting would give you the most desirable result. Any other method will fall short of slip casting when it comes to uniformity and thinness imho. One thing to consider is the heat that can build up in an enclosed light fixture. If you use an incandescent bulb and don't have any venting it will get hot. Also since the form will be round on all sides and translucent porcelain is usually somewhat pyroplastic, you might consider making a cradle of sorts to support the piece in the firing (similar to th way bone china is fired). Best of luck. I hope you post pictures of the process and results!
  25. What plugs? Do you mean the cord grips? All boards are not equal. Some do a much better job than others, and have more adjustable controls than others. But if you're going through Laguna/Pacifica, they should be able to tell you what's involved. The bigger issue is whether or not a new one will fit into the current box.
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.