All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. Yes, size would be fine...and manual is fine for now. I'll post pics if I can get out to see it this weekend. There is a used Paragon A-8 -something-discontinued with 3 shelves, 2 half shelves, boxes of kiln stands etc. and cones...some brick damage, but doesn't look too bad. It's $600 but it's a 6-ish hour drive away. Argh. Too far to drive to see.
  3. May I ask what you find troubling about it?
  4. I'm thinking that too. Post pictures of it so we can get a better idea of its condition. Is the size going to be big enough for your output and are you okay with firing a manual kiln? If it's in decent shape with furniture and a kiln sitter the most I'ld pay would be $200 but there are always used kilns available where I live.
  5. I can attest that a piece with an unseen-infinitesimal, really-crack can and does leak! I happen to have made several!
  6. NO NO NO, PLEASE, in the name of all that is merciful, NO
  7. Cool....if you get the pugger can I send you my concrete hard clay to reclaim? I hate rehydrating & wedging, wedging, wedging.
  8. Recycling clay as an individual user is very different than recycling clay for a business or entire studio. The pillow case or plaster slab method doesn't work on a larger scale. For individuals it's great, though. I think there are smarter ways of getting rid of slop than piling it up next to a pond and killing vegetation. That is not a problem with the clay, it's a problem with the person. I also think that the clay pit mine itself is far more damaging to the environment that the small amount that I throw out. And you would be surprised at how much gets thrown out during production. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to this. It all depends on your situation and what works for you.
  9. HI everyone, Newbie here A used Gare 1818 just came up on Kijiji and I have been madly researching online about it. Going out to look at it as used kilns don't come up very often in my area What I know so far: Pics of the interior looks intact, except there is a mark (burn looking) in the bottom corner so that concerns me. Outside looks in good shape - no rust. Hasn't been fired up for a couple of years. I've researched how to replace the elements and found there are parts in Canada so have a rough idea of cost of replacing stuff. We would be able to do the work if elements need replacing etc. and downloaded all the manuals I could find on the kiln L7-4K kiln sitter etc. So far it seems like this might be a good steady eddie first kiln basic model to start with. Or I am out lunch will check back in an hour to see if you have confirmed that? ? My first thought is $600 Cdn OBO may be a bit high??? It sounds like there is no furniture included, but I am getting that confirmed. Thanks everyone!
  10. I've heard (and believe) that clay will line and water tight a pond. If I had a little more level ground, I'd want to dig a pond, screw the recycling and pugmill. Unfortunately, I live on a pretty steep canyon. I'd have to fence it in or build control to keep out the wildlife, if I wanted to stock it with anything cool. Otherwise, it would just be a wildlife magnet. Also cool.
  11. Yesterday
  12. Check out Gep's system or the bag system. Really not onerous...like cleaning your teeth..essential part of of life from now on!
  13. I was just going through this question a while ago and decided I'd start throwing away scraps. Then I noticed on my yard waste bin it says no dirt allowed, so I decided to call up my waste collection company and they said I cannot put clay inside the yard waste. So I will just be collecting my scraps until I can afford a pug mill. Since you're not going to be recycling anymore, can I have your pug mill?
  14. Clay deposited on surface does indeed harm that environment. It seals the ground so water does not penetrate. It changes the ph of the ground and so as plants tolerate a certain ph the plants growing happily prior to clay dump may not thrive if they can actually tolerate the dense air deprived layer smothering their roots and stems. From your recent post I think you are after posts which reinforce a decision you have already made. Streams and rivers around mining areas die as the naturally occurring substances are released into the water courses at a rapidly increased rate, and different ratios. Oh well humans rule, right? Planet in a great state at the mo. Right? With the devastating downpours in various parts of the planet there is indeed devastation caused by downslides of naturally occurring clay. Humans most often have a finger or 10 in that pie too. Clay pans devoid of veg do occur naturally. That would surely allow you to dump your "waste" no worries mate. GEP has pics on these forums whereby little space is used as she stacks her "waste clay between plaster slabs Uses very little space. A little of her time. Apologies to forum members. Cannot understand some humans and their actions. Dump it at your doorstep . Hopefully you wont get stuck there. Anyone witnessing animals struggling to free themselves from human induced mud pans would tread more carefully on our planet.
  15. Wondering now how old is the oldest handmade mug lasts in the " normal" household with daily use..
  16. Whatever makes it easier for the moderators to take care of spam. I don't log out on my laptop. So it just pops up. I don't usually access CAD forum from my phone, because I can't remember my password!
  17. Maybe your wax isn't all that it could be, shouldn't be much to clean up. What wax are you using?
  18. @GoodKarma, I would really suggest testing the claybody and the glazes you are thinking of using before doing this. To prevent staining look for a body that has a low absorption figure (1 1/2% or less) and then test it in your kiln with your firing methods and measure what absorption figure you get. If this checks out okay then make sure the clay can take the added stress of having only one side of the pot glazed. To do this take a thin walled cylinder and glaze the inside only with the glaze you are thinking of using as the liner glaze and glaze it as thickly as you would an actual pot. Freeze the test cylinder(s) then put them in the sink and pour boiling water in them. If you will be doing some glaze on the outside then do a test cylinder like this also. If the clay is vitrified then it will be food safe but chances are you won't be eating off the outside of a pot so no worries there.
  19. Thanks for that! I don't think I fancy 525 glaze tests.....
  20. amy-lou, way back in 1972 i thought deep turquoise was a beautiful color and i bought 5 pounds of it. i am down to about a pound now and in all that time i have never NEVER gotten any color that was acceptable to me. in any recipe for anything. i am on glaze test 525 or so. maybe you can find another color that you love.
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.