All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. I think they mostly will be all fine for use. The biggest issue with molds is finding a buyer. Depending on your location in the country will determine how easy the sale will be meaning in some areas molds are still used some. Around here molds are free as they are to hard to sell.
  3. I bought a power rotating powersponge to clean slip seams and glaze bottoms years ago. The maker has since died. The thing sits over a 5 gallon bucket and spins slowly . Its a 10 inch or so wide sponge that picks up clean water and flushes off the slip or glaze on sponge as it rotates. Its a simple tool that I use when doing say my wall fish and needs smooth glaze edge. I use it very little as a hand sponge is pretty fast.
  4. Wow. I just read it has a two year shelf life. I’m going to feel pretty dopey if that has been my issue this whole time haha. Thanks for the advice
  5. Today
  6. This could be the key to the problem. Darvan has a shelf life so it could just be the efficacy of it has deteriorated. I work it out to being 56 grams being the ballpark figure you would need so I think this probably confirms the Darvan is shot.
  7. Yep. That's what I'm doing too A big wet sponge do the job. But of course it takes time when you do a lot of pottery.
  8. As I noted in this thread back in Dec, Terry is The Man Behind The Fallonator. Plumbing of the highest order meets pottery of the highest order! dw
  9. Sorry for the delay getting back to this. Decided against the 32x32 IR viewer since it has a fixed (distant) focus, so I couldn't build up a detailed image by taking multiple low-res close-ups. Seems fixed focus is standard on all the cheapie units. So I proceeded with the original "kiln caulk" approach, using ordinary kiln wash mixed up to heavy slip consistency to be extruded through an old mustard squirt-bottle. Originally, I had discounted this approach because I was fairly certain that by the time I had run a thick bead around the rim, enough water would have been absorbed from the start of the bead that it would have been too stiff for the lid to squish it properly when closed. The trick I came up with was to line the rim with strips of ordinary waxed paper, which kept the bead out of contact with the rim. Closing the lid thus squished it evenly, as desired. The waxed paper, of course, burned out completely in firing. I tested this idea first on scrap chunks of IFB in a bisque firing, where I wasn't trying to reach peak temperature and wasn't worried about the lid leakage. Afterward, the IFB chunks appeared to have a perfect seal between them, yet the top chunk could be lifted off with no effort. The squished kiln wash had bonded only to the top chunk, not to the bottom one at all. The subsequent glaze firing did make it to 1200 C as I wanted, but I have to say that I don't think the newly-sealed kiln lid had anything to do with that. I just started early in the morning (5 AM) and used a faster firing schedule once above 100 C, reaching 1200 at 9 PM. There was a little leakage glow visible around the lid, apparently due to the lid warping slightly so the side edges were a bit higher in their centers than the corners. Didn't happen on the front and back edges. (The upper element rods are just below the side edges.) So it looks like if I want to fire in less time, I will indeed need more insulation. The question is how much, and will it be reasonable regarding the cost and the added construction changes needed. I'm thinking that there should be a way to determine the current k value from the cool-down time constant, but I haven't figured out how to separate out the portion due to insulation versus thermal mass. If I could get a reliable measured k, I could compute the peak temperature to expect from added insulation.
  10. I have a question. I have recently come across a collection of anywhere from 2k-5k ceramic molds. From a home I purchased and am in the process of redoing. Some molds have been stored in a basement (dark and dank..but not dripping wet)..some were stored in a detached 2 car garage (no heat..but dry)..and several hundred were left outside in the elements. My question is 3 parts. 1. Will the ones stored in the basement and garage still be viable for sale? 2. Can the ones outside be dried enough as not to be ruined? 3. What is my best option for selling? 90% are strapped..and the other 10% have been stacked flat..with the 2 pieces of each mold meeting to make a whole. Seamlines are visible on the sides. None seem to be warped. Sorry for such a long post..but any help is appreciated
  11. Yes, size would be fine...and manual is fine for now. I'll post pics if I can get out to see it this weekend. There is a used Paragon A-8 -something-discontinued with 3 shelves, 2 half shelves, boxes of kiln stands etc. and cones...some brick damage, but doesn't look too bad. It's $600 but it's a 6-ish hour drive away. Argh. Too far to drive to see.
  12. May I ask what you find troubling about it?
  13. I'm thinking that too. Post pictures of it so we can get a better idea of its condition. Is the size going to be big enough for your output and are you okay with firing a manual kiln? If it's in decent shape with furniture and a kiln sitter the most I'ld pay would be $200 but there are always used kilns available where I live.
  14. I can attest that a piece with an unseen-infinitesimal, really-crack can and does leak! I happen to have made several!
  15. NO NO NO, PLEASE, in the name of all that is merciful, NO
  16. Cool....if you get the pugger can I send you my concrete hard clay to reclaim? I hate rehydrating & wedging, wedging, wedging.
  17. Recycling clay as an individual user is very different than recycling clay for a business or entire studio. The pillow case or plaster slab method doesn't work on a larger scale. For individuals it's great, though. I think there are smarter ways of getting rid of slop than piling it up next to a pond and killing vegetation. That is not a problem with the clay, it's a problem with the person. I also think that the clay pit mine itself is far more damaging to the environment that the small amount that I throw out. And you would be surprised at how much gets thrown out during production. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to this. It all depends on your situation and what works for you.
  18. HI everyone, Newbie here A used Gare 1818 just came up on Kijiji and I have been madly researching online about it. Going out to look at it as used kilns don't come up very often in my area What I know so far: Pics of the interior looks intact, except there is a mark (burn looking) in the bottom corner so that concerns me. Outside looks in good shape - no rust. Hasn't been fired up for a couple of years. I've researched how to replace the elements and found there are parts in Canada so have a rough idea of cost of replacing stuff. We would be able to do the work if elements need replacing etc. and downloaded all the manuals I could find on the kiln L7-4K kiln sitter etc. So far it seems like this might be a good steady eddie first kiln basic model to start with. Or I am out lunch will check back in an hour to see if you have confirmed that? ? My first thought is $600 Cdn OBO may be a bit high??? It sounds like there is no furniture included, but I am getting that confirmed. Thanks everyone!
  19. I've heard (and believe) that clay will line and water tight a pond. If I had a little more level ground, I'd want to dig a pond, screw the recycling and pugmill. Unfortunately, I live on a pretty steep canyon. I'd have to fence it in or build control to keep out the wildlife, if I wanted to stock it with anything cool. Otherwise, it would just be a wildlife magnet. Also cool.
  20. Yesterday
  21. Check out Gep's system or the bag system. Really not onerous...like cleaning your teeth..essential part of of life from now on!
  22. I was just going through this question a while ago and decided I'd start throwing away scraps. Then I noticed on my yard waste bin it says no dirt allowed, so I decided to call up my waste collection company and they said I cannot put clay inside the yard waste. So I will just be collecting my scraps until I can afford a pug mill. Since you're not going to be recycling anymore, can I have your pug mill?
  23. Clay deposited on surface does indeed harm that environment. It seals the ground so water does not penetrate. It changes the ph of the ground and so as plants tolerate a certain ph the plants growing happily prior to clay dump may not thrive if they can actually tolerate the dense air deprived layer smothering their roots and stems. From your recent post I think you are after posts which reinforce a decision you have already made. Streams and rivers around mining areas die as the naturally occurring substances are released into the water courses at a rapidly increased rate, and different ratios. Oh well humans rule, right? Planet in a great state at the mo. Right? With the devastating downpours in various parts of the planet there is indeed devastation caused by downslides of naturally occurring clay. Humans most often have a finger or 10 in that pie too. Clay pans devoid of veg do occur naturally. That would surely allow you to dump your "waste" no worries mate. GEP has pics on these forums whereby little space is used as she stacks her "waste clay between plaster slabs Uses very little space. A little of her time. Apologies to forum members. Cannot understand some humans and their actions. Dump it at your doorstep . Hopefully you wont get stuck there. Anyone witnessing animals struggling to free themselves from human induced mud pans would tread more carefully on our planet.
  24. Wondering now how old is the oldest handmade mug lasts in the " normal" household with daily use..
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.