All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Working with a coarser clay makes the smooth process a little slower, I got into coiling when I was in college. I took a archeology class that was in a competition with other colleges to replicate Anazai pottery. It was held in the pottery studio and I was the only clay person in the class. The professor taught the class how he thought they made the coiled pots, I told him he was wrong that the pots would crack and fall apart. At the end of the semester we fired them in a trench firing, my work come out fine the rest was broken shards. I had a dozen pieces come out of the firing most of them quite large and thin walled. The professor admitted I was right, the archeology department won the competition with my work. Denice
  3. I think you would have success depend upon the desired look. While we have not used a polisher we have achieved various looks by sanding, polishing and burnishing even to a low gloss. By sanding I am talking 500 to 2000 grit. We found it pretty easy to polish to a mild gloss with some effort. All of our items are fully vitrified porcelain. It definitely is easier to use a glaze that provides the intended look though.
  4. Just a little thought I had today...if I wanted Cone 6 fired porcelain to have a satin/low gloss finish without the use of an overglaze, do you think that I could achieve this using a rock polisher? I'm talking about very small items - pendants and beads. I would be interested to know if anyone on here has ever tried putting porcelain in a rock tumbler machine before?
  5. Hi Min, thank you for that suggestion because I would have never thought of that. If the method I'm trying today doesn't work out then I will certainly give that a go!
  6. Today
  7. @LouiseB,this is a long shot but I noticed you used the word "bin" so I'm guessing you might not be in North America. In the UK for example there are some earthenwares that go to cone 6. What info do you have for the earthenware you are using? Might be lucky and have one that goes higher than lowfire temperatures.
  8. If it's jewelry and glaze fit isn't of utmost importance, glaze to the earthenware clay temperatures. Vitrification isn't *as* big a deal for something you're not eating off of or isn't subject to mild acid or base exposure.
  9. Hello, I’m new to ceramics and have been working with some mid-fire porcelain clay as well as white earthenware clay. I made several hundred small jewellery pieces from both clays and had them bisque fired at a local kiln service. Unfortunately they combined all my work together and now I don’t know which is porcelain and which is white earthenware, soI don’t know which clear glaze to use on which piece. Might anyone be able to give me some advice about what I could do? Are these pieces salvagable or bound for the bin?
  10. Yesterday
  11. I want to refire a piece that has been fired to cone #6. Can I refire it at cone #5?

1. Min

Min

Sometimes this works, sometimes not so much. It's a crapshoot with refires but if it's not acceptable as it is now then theres nothing to loose by  refiring it. Cone 5 would be good, less chance of the glazes running and / or bloating with the clay. If you aren't sure how runny the glazes get with a refire then putting the piece on a thin scrap slab to catch any glaze runs is a good idea.

BTW, this Status Update section is more for what people have going on at the moment, for your question the Studio Operations and Making Work section might get you more replies.

Welcome to the forums! 

12. Ok thanks. My plans for burner port is currently 3" X 4" opening. I plan the chimney at 6" X 6" inside with 3" thick walls.
  13. Just to echo what @liambesaw said, there do exist smaller private websites with well-curated handmade craft. https://www.artfulhome.com/ is another one. Artful Home is basically a wholesale deal for the artist, you split the retail cost with them, then you drop-ship the work to the customer. You pay Artful Home much more than you pay Etsy, in order to have your work displayed among nothing but well-curated work. The other well-curated online craft sellers that I know of also work on a 50/50 split. It’s a trade off. If you want something with lower costs like Etsy, you can’t tell them to lower the volume of work. If you want to be seen in a well-curated environment, you need to pay them for the added value of their venue. It's expensive! It should be treated it like a gallery relationship, as in you have to compete to get past their discerning selection process, and give them half of the sale.
  14. I'd give another inch of width in the firebox, then just center the shelves in the space. What diameter is your burner port?
  15. When beautiful flooring once laid down it becomes the most wonderful place to visit every time. I can see all the tiles, designs uploaded here, are looking very nice and unique too. I remember last year when the construction of my new home was going on, one of my neighbour suggested my dad to install vinyl flooring Sacramento from the Zothex Flooring. We did the same, and we are still happy with the work done by the experts.
  16. I've had to put this on hold due to money but, now have the funds ready... This is my latest plan after your suggestions and some other reading. 9" thick walls, will probably do 4.5 " arch with fiber over the top and 9" thick floor. I'm hoping to make it work with one burner, my biggest concern from this plan is the space around shelves. It's probably a bit tight top and bottom ( 1½" ) and too much at the flue side (4½") but can't see a better way without having to cut a load of bricks. I plan 8 courses for walls, which would give about 10cu ft total internal space with arch.
  17. Oh, Bill, thank you! It's so good to know someone else has apparently been living in the alternate universe where cones don't behave as expected.
  18. I throw you another twist, on occasion I have had a cone 11 guard cone bend as much or more than the cone 10 firing cone. Universe is way out of order on those days!
  19. Yes, it's a bisque fire, and you have all persuaded me that I shouldn't care -- but again, it's like the business with the rulers. Without a trustworthy measurement standard, the universe descends into pure chaos. Not to nitpick or anything.
  20. Thank you, I’ve thought of that concept for a while now because I do feel in today’s saturated ‘handmade’ market it’s needed.
  21. Last week
  22. ...and the glaze room never ran out of bone ash! (we need to shine flashlights on our faces to tell these stories!)
  23. There are online/b&m galleries who vet/jury artists which is kind of what that platform would have to be. My friend who does metal and wood art is in a few of those hybrid galleries and does fairly well with that being his only online sales.
  24. Yes guard cones on each side would help nail this down. But for a bisque who cares.
  25. Yes.... "Looked* like... Oddly enough, there was no evidence found, and for some reason the kiln was running later that day...
  26. For what it's worth, I think that's a really good idea. There are lots of creative, smart, and technically savvy people on this forum, and starting a website is cheap... Maybe someone wants to step up and take a stab at it? Get some sort of platform started and then invite people here to give it a try...
  27. Maybe even less than that. From the time the tip gets to the 3:00 position to tip touching is only 5 degrees for this cone 10 example. I think that if people want to really fine tune their firings using 3 cones would be a good idea. With @dianen example of fired cones above if there were a ^05 warning cone and a ^03 guard cone you could look at those to determine which of the ^04 cones were more valid. Really nit picking moot point though, especially if this is for a bisque firing.
  28. It depends on if you're firing in reduction or oxidation. In reduction, 4% iron will make a huge difference. In oxidation, not so much.
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.