I found an interesting bit of research to further justify wasting time making pots.
- GiselleNo5 likes this
Jump to content
Posted by docweathers on 22 April 2016 - 11:03 AM
I really like the "magnet tools" approach. I am the author of the Ceramics Monthly article by that name. It has one flaw, me. When I am intently involved in making something at the limits of my skills, which is most of the time, I don't have the habit patterns established to get tools automatically put back on a magnet, or metal strip. I tend to drop them on the closest horizontal surface.
One handy way I've come up with to find tools with magnets attached is to scan my pigsty with one of those Harbor Freight magnets on a stick. It's amazing how strange things suddenly pop out your water bucket, your recycled clay or from a hidden crevasse on the floor.
The idea of various kinds of "floaties" on chamois and sponges is great. It is far better than finding some strange lump in the wall of a large pot.... Which I have done.
As much as I like to recycle everything, I think I will pass the idea of making brushes from recycled skunk.
Posted by docweathers on 21 April 2016 - 11:07 PM
Posted by docweathers on 21 April 2016 - 11:07 PM
Posted by docweathers on 31 March 2016 - 12:42 AM
I have gotten into making large platters lately, which are far too large to trim on my giffin Grip. I made three new fingers for my GG that grip the platter from the inside versus the outside. This works well because the inside of my platters tend to be more round than the edges. we are nothing more than three metal rods with some stiff but not rigid closed cell foam glued on the end of the rods. I don't know what kind of foam is. It just came on some junk I bought delivered by the UPS man. the dark blue layer is stiffer and provides some extra support for the softer clear foam. I used a 6000 glue to stick it all together. Pictures are attached. They pretty self-explanatory
Posted by docweathers on 29 March 2016 - 12:18 PM
In a discussion with Min about improving mocha diffusion she pointed out this link to me. It describes a way of doing a mocha diffusion like pattern on wood with electricity. I'm wondering if there is a way to adapt this to a kind of mocha diffusion for glazes at ^6.
I'm thinking about building one of these things. However, before I launch, I would appreciate any ideas about whether it would actually work with ceramic glazes and what would be the best way of adapting it to ceramics.
I can get ordinary mocha diffusion to work but not at the level I would like to see it.
Posted by docweathers on 21 March 2016 - 02:25 PM
I thought folks who sell their work would be interested in this research article I just found. The article is attached but basically it says the bigger your signature the more narcissistic you are likely to be and the more money you will get for your art.
Posted by docweathers on 20 February 2016 - 01:13 PM
In my continuing effort to organize the pigsty around my wheel, I just made a simple gizmo to hold my metal ribs.
It is just a tension spring, a strip of spring steel metal strapping, and a couple of magnets. The metal strap provides something to secure the whole gizmo as well as providing a slight curvature to the spring. The curvature makes it easier to get the ribs between the spring coils. The magnets provide an easy way of attaching it to the metal shelving on three sides of my wheel
As a side note, if any of you fancy that spring steel metal strapping used to hold cargo down to pallets , you better grab some now. It is being quickly replaced with plastic strapping, which makes it harder to find. I use it to make all kinds of odd little tools.
Posted by docweathers on 31 January 2016 - 10:47 PM
I am certainly guilty of not reporting back on results of the advice that I've gotten. I never really thought about anyone giving a hoot since the advisor usually seemed quite knowledgeable and already knew what would happen. I didn't see any point in telling them what they already knew. I will have to amend my ways.
I try to contribute to the forum by describing some technique or gizmo that I have just dawned upon that I think others might find useful.
Posted by docweathers on 07 October 2015 - 07:39 PM
I have a first draft of my de airing conversion operational. I threaded a half inch nipple into the barrel immediately after the blades. It extends about 3/8 of an inch in the barrel. On the leeward side to the clay travel path it is carved back about a quarter of an inch. On top of the nipple is bolted the lid to a peanut butter jar. A second hole and fittings pass a quarter-inch plastic tube from my $50 harbor freight vacuum pump to the bottom of the jar. For a vacuum chamber, the peanut butter jar is screwed into the lid upside down. On initial tests, this all seems to work pretty well. I'm sure Rube would approve. Pictures are attached.
Posted by docweathers on 17 September 2015 - 10:03 AM
Community Forum Software by IP.Board
Licensed to: Ceramic Arts Daily