I have been working in a studio that sells tableware to restaurants mostly and some big platters fail under their heat lamps.
My initial thoughts were maybe they have high absorption and are cracking because of that. Let a fired bowl soak in water for 3 days, 369g dry and 369.7g after 3 days. Not the most accurate but shows there was hardly any? Should probably redo.
Happened to be speaking to a clay chap on the phone and he said I wanted more absorption and my clay was too closed up.
Anybody else come across this problem? Is there a balance to be struck between the ability to be waterproof and good thermal shock. I always aimed for the lowest absorption possible but was that the wrong idea?