I have used a soda ash wash and it gave a nice, low luster, finish, while maintaining the red clay color at Cone 6. I made mine by dissolving the soda ash into the hottest water coming out of my faucet, stirring constantly while dropping the powder into the container until a few crystals wouldn't dissolve. I decanted and stored the rest in a non-reactive container. I have not noticed it precipitating out (which is why I assume Chris recommended making only what you use for one time.) The result is caustic, so please be careful with the liquid, and particularly don't get it in your eyes.
You can search at Ceramic Arts Daily and get more information. It turns up several discussions in the forum of this subject.
Check for power to the fan first. If the circuit breaker has tripped, or the cord has become loose at the receptacle, it may just look like a failure, but be easily corrected.
Assuming that the motor failed, get all the motor data from the nameplate and seek out a shop that supplies electric motors in your area. You may have a motor rebuilding shop in your area that may be able to replace brushes, rewind the motor, or replace bearings, and getting it working again. That can be the least cost solution.
123pop, I had a similar problem that turned out to be the top switch had failed. My kiln has a pilot light that lights when the elements are powered. It would light up with the bottom and middle switch on, but not the top switch. Replaced the top switch and it was back to business as usual.