For re-glazing I'll heat up the piece to around 300ish, and then 'boil on the glaze', but as my professor says. This would apply to this as well, but be sure to use tongs! I've successfully rescued pots before re-glazing, and and I'm sure that it would help with this. You may be able to go with a lower temp, you could set your kiln to reach 300 degrees, and and test how well the glaze adheres at the milestone numbers, like 100 150 and so on. Good luck!
I'm kicking myself because I left the photo of the metallic glaze test at home. However, I did upload the photos of the 'new' Midori glaze. Now it's looking like a green celadon, before the re-design it looked like a crackling green glass.
My plan is to do a line blend between the two, as the simplification that my professor did greatly changed the look... I don't mind the new look, but I'd like to see what happens in the blends. I have a feeling that through the line blends I'll start to get a feel about controlling the crackle.
Midori old I've re-distributed everything to add up to 100%.
TJR, after the glaze tests I've found a version of that metallic glaze that I like – I'll start calling it Iron #5 for now. (It was the fifth out of sixteen tests.) It has the red, but it also has a nice black accent that shows up on bumpy areas. I'll edit the photo in later, but for now here is the recipe.
Bone Ash 11
Iron was removed, and Red Iron will be added in 1% intervals as suggested. I'll also try the other colorants. I'll have to make taller test tiles, as the glaze runs. That's ok, as I also want to design functional wear that will suit the glaze.
It's nice that Christmas is coming up... but I may go crazy, as I won't have access to 'the lab' and the wheel!
Ok, so I did a few test glazes @ cone 10 with a cratering slip. It didn't do anything, as a slip or a glaze... in any of the tests. This particular example was dipped in slip that had the SC, bisqued, and then glazed.
I have a feeling that we had the wrong material, though. I'll find out the next time I'm at school.
My teacher obtained it from an industrial type place... something to do with glass.
I'm doing some tests now. We're doing them as an addition to the slip – not the glaze. He recommended an addition of around 6%. In the tests, they range from 2% to 12%. I also did mixes with other glazes, to see what happens.