Lots of work went into this large (15" diameter) agate ware platter, but it broke clean in half during the bisque firing! I had it sitting on sheets of Bullseye kiln liner paper to allow it to slide on the kiln shelf.
I'm sure it is now headed for the driveway, unless someone can suggest another use, or even a way to repair it. (Ha!)
Just to show what it would look like with a clear glaze, here's another piece I made earlier:
FYI, the patterned clay strips are placed on a thin slab of the same clay (Laguna B-Mix for cone 5) and rolled hard until they are basically one unit. Then this platter was cut to shape and placed on a canvas sling to form the gentle curve while drying to leather hard. I placed a ware board under it (under the sling) at the right distance to give it a flat bottom. In case someone thinks it wasn't dry...no chance! I'm sure it was thoroughly dry. The process seemed to work, until...I opened the kiln!