Layering Velvet Underglazes Question

i just used amaco velvet leaf green. as i got half way through the project, i realized that this color with a few more coats and clear glaze fires pretty dark.

i was going for a seafoam green or lighter green. something to compliment blue on an ocean-themed piece.

can i layer a different color over it? white maybe?

Yes, you can layer. And, you can also mix the dark green and white to get a lighter color. Here is some info from the BigCeramicStore.com website:

Velvets are a very versatile, semi-translucent underglaze which offers two finish possibilities. When left unglazed they have the appearance of velvet. Or, when glazed with a clear gloss glaze, they have a soft, satin matt finish. They are rich colors and can be used for all over coverage similar to an opaque underglaze. Colors may be mixed together to create unique colors. Use on greenware, then bisque prior to applying a clear glaze. Or use on bisque with a covering glaze applied prior to firing. Velvets tolerate a wide firing range, and can be used on most temperatures and clay bodies. Some colors may fade at high temperatures (cone 7 and up). When used without a glaze cover, Velvets should not be used on food or drink containers. Non-toxic.

Archived