Circular Designs

Can you please tell me how to place a repeating pattern around the edge of a circular/oval plate PRECISELY i.e without leaving a gap or overlapping.

Is this done by (very) accurate measurement,calculation or is there some trade method that has been used for many years?

Vechietto

I have modified a bat for marking out regular angular positions on the periphery of circular plates and platters. Using a protractor and pencil( this allows you to erase mistakes) mark out the angular divisions you need on the face of the bat and then score them for permanence. They can be painted for identification if you wish by painting over the score for each repeat angle in the same colour and then rubbing back so that just the score remains coloured. Centre the work on the bat and then project the positions you require from the bat to the rim of the work using a plastic set square (the type used in schools is quite adequate), you can mark the positions with a soft pencil as it will burn out during firing. To prevent the work from slipping on the bat use a piece of blue tack.

As for elliptical work I think the previous procedure will work for 90,45 degrees etc., in other words even divisions but will not work for 5 or 7 divisions. For these a different method is needed. Measure the length and width of the ellipse and add them together and then divide by 2. This gives you an average diameter for the ellipse. Miltiply this figure by 3.142 (pi) which will give you the circumference of the ellipse.Divide this figure by the number of divisions you want say 5 or 7 which gives you the distance apart of the centres around the platter. Step this measurement off using dividers or a compass.

I hope this is not too confusing,

Mudlark

Archived