Anagama Kiln

So off to the left of my families property I started the project a year ago of digging a wine cellar....by hand. It is a pretty large hole in the yard. Ive used it recently to pit fire and also to just burn off pallet wood that we have used to build dog houses. So since the idea of the wine cellar has left the building due to the lack of passive functionality I have been left with this hole in my yard. Really no big deal.

I dont have too much money at my disposal but I do have time. I know that fire brick is used to build kilns these days but the potters from long ago didnt have such the option. I thought of the use of Cob (mud,manure, straw) to build the stucture then use allt he excess ground to dome over the cavity. Would such a feat be possible?

Im just a person that loves to dabble with things and dont mind hard work. Ive been experimenting more these days with natural GA clay than Iv been creating ahhaha.

Heres my pit just in case you were curious. Its about 10x12 feet and at the deepest point about 6 feet.

post-3007-13009048838859_thumb.jpg

post-3007-13009048838859_thumb.jpg

Archived