Methods To Remove Lid Fused To Pot

I created a box out of extrusions and made a lid for it. The lid and piece was wax resisted in all the 'right places' and glaze fired on the box (cone 6). However, during loading or during the firing, the lid shifted somewhat and is now fused to the box by the glaze at one place about 1/4" long. I'd like to salvage the piece if possible. Any suggestions as to how to separate the two pieces? Thanks for any help.

I created a box out of extrusions and made a lid for it. The lid and piece was wax resisted in all the 'right places' and glaze fired on the box (cone 6). However, during loading or during the firing, the lid shifted somewhat and is now fused to the box by the glaze at one place about 1/4" long. I'd like to salvage the piece if possible. Any suggestions as to how to separate the two pieces? Thanks for any help.

try using a dremel tool with a thin blade if you have one. Also, laying it on it's side and tapping it with a rubber mallot will sometimes release the lid.

I have had success by whacking the body and the lid with the wooden handle of a hammer or mallet. Just tap tap tap continually around the pot. If works ofter unless there is a lot of glaze.

Marcia

I have used all of the above devices, but at times have filled the pot with water by immersion, put it in the freezer, to freeze the water. Take it out, sometimes the lid is separated. If not, I rap it with a piece of wood, and it usually comes right off.

I have had success by whacking the body and the lid with the wooden handle of a hammer or mallet. Just tap tap tap continually around the pot. If works ofter unless there is a lot of glaze.

Marcia

I have used all of the above devices, but at times have filled the pot with water by immersion, put it in the freezer, to freeze the water. Take it out, sometimes the lid is separated. If not, I rap it with a piece of wood, and it usually comes right off.

A friend said someone told them to put it in the freezer, but they didn't know what they did with it when it came out of the freezer. Have you ever had the ice break the pot when you fill it with water and freeze? I'll give it a shot.

Archived