With Or Without The Greenery?

I make all kinds of interesting wall pockets. They look best when they are packed with lavender or wheat stalks or something similar.

Now I have to pay for the lavender and don't know how to market the pockets.

Should I sell the flowers and the pocket separately? Add the prices together? Have an option?

My huge lavender plants are in Oregon and I am in North Carolina.

Sigh,

MM

I think customers are happier if they don't have to make too many decisions. Plus, you don't want to project the message "I'm not sure which way is best." So I would sell all the wall pockets with flowers, or all of them without, but don't offer a choice. If you are including flowers, definitely charge for the flowers! If you are not, I would display one wall pocket with flowers, so customers can visualize how to use theirs, but display the rest empty so it is clear the flowers are not included.

Mea

I helped a very successful potter at a show last week and she says the pockets or vases with flowers sell and she dries them off and transfers the flowers to another pot pretty much identical to the sold one, and that will be the next to sell. Sitting right next to another without flowers!

Can you use something not as pricy or hard to get as the lavender?

Have you gone to your local plant nursery to see if there's a lavender plant that will grow well in your area? Here in Idaho there are several different types of of lavender that do well. Some with big stalky heads, some lowgrowing with small blooms. Most are perennial and range in color from pale to intense purple. If lavender will grow here, it ought to grow in North Carolina as well (probably better!).

• 2 weeks later...

Have you gone to your local plant nursery to see if there's a lavender plant that will grow well in your area? Here in Idaho there are several different types of of lavender that do well. Some with big stalky heads, some lowgrowing with small blooms. Most are perennial and range in color from pale to intense purple. If lavender will grow here, it ought to grow in North Carolina as well (probably better!).

The box has been built and filled with the proper soil with additives so the lavender will grow well.

The dirt here is pure red clay, time for some terra sigilata experiments. The 12 plants in there are already showing new growth...

It is hard to wait for what was previously taken for granted... it will just take time.

Thanks for the suggestions kids, I will use the transfer trick for a while until the crop comes in,

I did the test firing on my new kiln to oxidize the elements and bisque the shelves and am now ready to put in the first real bisque!!!

B

Archived