Old Anne Hirondelle Soda Ash Glaze Recipe

ctedin

Just wondering if there is any fellow artist out there who might have Anne Hirondelle's soda ash glaze formulation? I know that she has gone another direction completely with her work, and in fact posted it in a Ceramics Monthly a long, long time ago. I used to use this a great deal for large sculptures and it gave a very great dry bronze-like finish. A bit hard to control, but that's why I liked it. On a large scale, the results were wonderful, both in oxidation and reduction. Thanks in advance, folks!

Just wondering if there is any fellow artist out there who might have Anne Hirondelle's soda ash glaze formulation? I know that she has gone another direction completely with her work, and in fact posted it in a Ceramics Monthly a long, long time ago. I used to use this a great deal for large sculptures and it gave a very great dry bronze-like finish. A bit hard to control, but that's why I liked it. On a large scale, the results were wonderful, both in oxidation and reduction. Thanks in advance, folks!

Hello Christopher

The information you are after comes from an article "Deliberations" written by Ann Hirondelle that was published in Ceramic Monthly,Vol 6, 1986. Ceramic Monthly index of past issues can be searched in the article database at http://ceramicartsda...t/articleindex/

Hirondelle Soda Ash Glaze (cone 7-8, reduction)

Soda ash 30%

Edgar plastic kaolin 15%

Flint 55%

Always use cold water when mixing this caustic soda glaze. The following colour variations are possible with the additions of:

Red-Blue: Tin Oxide 1%,Cobalt carbonate .25%, Copper carbonate 2%

Lavender-black: Yellow ochre 4%, Red iron oxide 2%

Golden Pewter: Copper carbonate 4%, Manganese dioxide 5%

Blue-green: Chrome oxide .25%, cobalt carbonate .25%

Cheers

Johanna

• 9 months later...

Archived