Wollastonite Chunks In Glaze - Fix?

I have a glaze using wollastonite.  The wollastonite does not change at all it seems in the glaze slurry from the bag, insoluable.  After mixing and screening there remains a small amount of the wollasonite in the screen.  It's about a tablespoon for a 2000 gm batch of glaze.  I think the wollastonite is about 20 percent of the glaze, not sure, don't have it here. 

Questions: is this amount left in the screen significant enough to change the glaze?

I don't have a ball mill, any suggestions on getting rid of the chunks?  I know I could screen it before hand, but screening the dry powder is a nightmare.  The ceramics store person was not knowledgeable in this area (not the regular guy.)

Probably won't make a difference if you leave it out. Wollastonite is approx 1/2 silica and 1/2 calcium carb so you could weigh some of each out and sub that. It doesn't melt as well as wollastonite but I doubt 1 TBS will make a difference in a 2000 gram batch.

You could try whizzing it in a blender with some of the glaze and see if that breaks it up.

OK, thanks for the answers. 

When putting it in the blender I am assuming doing it after mixing with water.  A food processor would acctually work on the dry stuff, but don't have a spare.  I got a blender shortly after starting to use clay.  I love to make smooth buttery slip in it and paper clay and mix colored slip.

I thought of a mortar and pestal, but I don't see that as a long term fix.  I like this glaze and plan to mix it in larger batches which I will be using a great deal of.

I thought of a mortar and pestal, but I don't see that as a long term fix.  I like this glaze and plan to mix it in larger batches which I will be using a great deal of.

... I suspect rayaldridge is right, and the quantity involved is/should-not-be significant. However if

you are going to make this glaze repeatedly, and you are certain that it's the wollastonite staying

in the sieve, why not just add a little more to allow for loss-on-sieving?

Archived