Thermocouple On Paragon Tnf 27-3 Turned Black?

Is this a common occurrence?    I just replaced a relay switch and tested elements to make sure that was the problem.  Then I turned on kiln again and temp read -320 degrees.   I have the cheaper S type thermocouple on this kiln, which is only used to bisque.  Kiln is almost 2 years old.  Didn't realize thermocouple could turn black ... guessing it needs to be replaced?

Its most likely not a S- thermocouple (these are spendy) but the cheaper K type and they will turn black over time depending on what temps you go to. I would put on a protection tube over the thermocouple and this will make them last a lot longer.

There was a thread on this just recently.

Mark

Discoloring is normal. They will not stay shiny. The bigger issue is that it was reading -320. It was my understanding that the controllers will not read below zero, but regardless of that, it shouldn't read below actual room temperature. Double check all the connections and wires, making sure it's not wired backwards. Also try unhooking the wires from the TC and connecting the two ends of the wires together to see if you get a normal reading. If so, then you need a new TC. If it's still goofy, try replacing the TC wires. If that doesn't work, you need a new controller.

Hmm ... unplugged kiln  and let temperature gauge come back on naturally.   When I was getting that -320 I I hit dials to get rid of the dashes ... now temperature is correct.    

As for searching forums, I didn't pull up anything on a thermocouple turning black.    My forum searches are for the most part, not effective.

Is this a common occurrence?    I just replaced a relay switch and tested elements to make sure that was the problem.  Then I turned on kiln again and temp read -320 degrees.   I have the cheaper S type thermocouple on this kiln, which is only used to bisque.  Kiln is almost 2 years old.  Didn't realize thermocouple could turn black ... guessing it needs to be replaced?

Look at the picture in "Thermocouple spitting metal flakes" post.  If that looks like you thermocouple than you have a type K.  Usually a type S would be in a ceramic protecting tube.

David

Archived