Throwing! Ah, zen, M.C.Richards, yes!

up to the point where I need to be critical, then, "it's a bxxch"

All else is handwork/handbuilding (conscious) and the Stones, blues, jazz, eclecticism (Nigel Kennedy plays Hendrix and The Doors on violin).

I do love Lennon & Harrison & Donovan & Marvin Gaye too

pres, please name another movie in which pottery is even mentioned.

you might not like it but it gave lots of would-be potters the impetus to start.

Please tell me I am not the only one who pays disproportionate attention to the pots in The Hobbit, the Lord of the Rings and netflix's Marco Polo?

You are not.  I kept looking at the wares in Game of Thrones, thinking, "Hmmm, I wonder what kind of clay body that is?..."

well, of course we all look at the background pots and any that come forward during any movie or TV show, i mean what movie that has FEATURED making pottery as part of the story.  used to love watching oprah when she had the set with all the pots.  who made them?

Piffle to both! Give me the Moody Blues any day of the week! :lol:

Currently, I'm a thrower, but I hope to get in to hand building, someday soon. They have a wonderful class at the local guild, and once the dust settles from day to day life, I think I'll give it a go. So many choices...... I know I'll never master any of them. I have more years behind me than I have left ahead of me, sorry to say. But, any time spent in the studio is heaven on earth to me! :D

pres, please name another movie in which pottery is even mentioned.

you might not like it but it gave lots of would-be potters the impetus to start.

Please tell me I am not the only one who pays disproportionate attention to the pots in The Hobbit, the Lord of the Rings and netflix's Marco Polo?

You are not.  I kept looking at the wares in Game of Thrones, thinking, "Hmmm, I wonder what kind of clay body that is?..."

Star Trek: The Next Generation has all kinds of interesting ceramics, dinnerware and sculptural. Klingon flagons!

Thank you all for your inputs! :wub: 

Like many of you, I'am going back and forth too, sometimes throwing, sometimes (much more often) hand building. And what Marcia said: a combination of those two techniques. When I'am back in Switzerland, in June, I'll try a combination of casting and hand building.

Maybe Elaine is right and hand building needs more patience than throwing? But then again, I remember how much patience I needed until I could center on the wheel. Really sad is when the health is getting in the way, like Judy (welcome Judy!) experienced.

Mostly it's not either/or for many potters but working with different techniques.

Music:

Neil: Nice try!  :D  You almost got me changing my technique style... But I'm too old for throwing with a partner... You can't always get what you want...

Elaine: Enjoy the Stones in Ohio!

Benzine: I can get no satisfaction from your question about the music groups (giggle)

MarkC: unfortunately your avatar is blank..... It's all over now...???

OK, so it only gets worse, as Naked Gun 2 1/2 weeks had a Nielson spoof of Ghost throwing scene. Then there is the little know Japanese film from 50's that I saw in Hawaii growing up Ugetsu. All in all, not much out there. However, when Ghost came out the snickers and the jokes, the explanations to questions and so many other things went on and on every time I demonstrated it was a bit frustrating. No no one missed that film, and all wanted the erotic experience, and yet none could have understood the true eroticism of the wheel. Kind of soured the movie for me.

Guest JBaymore

Then there is the little know Japanese film from 50's that I saw in Hawaii growing up Ugetsu.

I show "Ugetsu Monogatari" in my History of Japanese Ceramics class.  That is a GREAT film for potters.  Potters as the protagonists.  Very accurate sets and lots of great background images.  Japanese language, with subtitles.  Not sure if Steven Branfman's Potters Shop bookstore handles it or not.

A number of times when I have been living in Japan for a few months I have found there are sometimes routine TV show drama programs that feature potters as the main characters.  I remember one not long ago where the "crisis" the potter was experiencing was that the clay body and glazes were weeping..... and a huge career making commission hung in the balance.  Much angst, testing, and travel to consult with other masters to solve the issue was involved.  (Only in Japan!)

best,

....................john

that story line would only work in the usa if the protagonist was a pitcher and the leather cover on the ball caused an allergy and a beautiful woman found a way to save the pitcher after agonizing pain for the pitcher and lots of love scenes having nothing to do with anything.  pottery??wassat??

• 4 weeks later...

Back in the day: Phil Ochs, Cream, Edith Piaf, New Jersey do-wop, Baroque trumpet - hand building.

In between--bits of most everything world-wide, except anything that makes the ears bleed or is utterly rageful

Sorta-kinda now: Lindsey Stirling, Turkish Groove (don't ask, just a pleasant passing fancy), music referenced in Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch series - hand building & wheel (toe in the water stage)

Definitely throwing and (trimming)!!  From my first experience in college ('69) until 10 min. ago when I just finished trimming and pulling handles for mugs, I've been obsessed with throwing.  Now that I have finished trimming, I get to do my 2nd most favorite thing: carving or sgraffito. Ah the bliss!!  I have done some hand-built, and have enjoyed it, but it doesn't satisfy me on the same level as throwing. Also my customers are way more attracted to my thrown work.

About 90 percent of my work is thrown and trimmed on the wheel, though sometimes carved and altered, too. I find it easy and satisfying in a way that I just do not ever feel about hand building. Pretty much the only time I do hand building is when I am showing someone else how to make something - then when I'm done, I go back to my wheel. 

Beatles, Stones, Classic Rock and Classical - all good.

Archived