I can't convince the folks whose pottery I help with that this is worth the money, especially at the two large shows we do. Instead it's cheap paper bags and the free weeklies scavenged from display boxes around town. It's very frustrating.

I agree that presentation is important, but that does not mean buying the same commercially available wraps that anyone else can. Because I've been giving pots as gifts as long as I've been an impoverished potter, finding boxes that are the right sizes and storing them was always problematic. My solution then, as now, for all my gifts and sale pots to be given as gifts, is the decorated brown paper bag: potato-stamped holly leaves for Christmas, stamped balloons with drawn-on streamers for most other occasions, raffia bows or attached ornament trinkets, variations like white bags for wedding gifts - you get the idea. For shipping, of course, the decorated bag(s) are packed properly in boxes. My grandchildren and greats who live faraway all know who THAT present came from!

I like your sign.

Had some good advice from Mark Cortnoy which I use and it works. People like pots at eye level. I would move away from the tables and build a couple of standing shelves. sold most of my pots from these shelves.

Tom.

Mark Cortright. Sorry.

T.

Archived