Shimpo Slabroller Chain Slipping And Binding

I am hoping one of you with a Shimpo can give some guidance. The studio has a Shimpo Slabroller and about a week ago someone had an issue with it (unknown what it was) and decided to try and fix said issue by dismantling the Slabroller.

This evening the studio director and I tried to find all the pieces and reassemble the machine.

Someone had removed a link in the chain, I guess thinking the chain was too loose and causing the jamming. With the link removed though it was nearly impossible to turn the height adjustment wheel and you could hear it straining the mechanism. We found the removed link and added it back in. The height adjustment wheels will now turn and the rollers go up and down but the chain on the wheel side of the unit keeps binding on the sprocket. We could not see if there was anyway to adjust this sprocket just enough to increase the tension a touch to keep it from binding. If I put my finger on it and add just a bit of tension by pulling it towards me it didn't skip and bind at all. Does anyone know if there is an adjustment somewhere?

Do the Shimpo Chains wear out and need to be replaced?

There is also a lot of play in the threaded shaft on that side of the roller much more than the other side. We don't know what was done when it was dismantled, is it possible this threaded shaft was bent somehow?

For the life of us we can't get that wheel/knob back on the shaft either, both wheel/knobs will easily slip onto the other side but neither one will slip all the way onto this shaft.

The director called around for a repair person to come out and they want almost $200 just to drive out here then more $ for time to fix, more $ for any parts and more $ if they have to order something and come back. He called and emailed Shimpo earlier in the week but no one has contacted him in return to answer these questions.

So I am asking you all in hopes someone might have a suggestion on how to get the height adjustment chain to feed smoothly and also how to get the wheel/knob back onto the shaft.

Thank you so much for your help.

T

Chains will wear with time and become longer, the problem then is the spacing becomes slightly larger between the chain parts resulting in it not fitting the sprocket properly. This can allow the cain to wear the sprocket faster and even jump over the teeth . Have not had this issue on a slab roller but would happen on my motorcycles and replace the chain regularly to help save the sprockets.

Hope this helps.

Many things with chain drives have a tension adjustment. My Electric Bailey has a chain-never had an issue with it yet. It was many years ago that I assembled it

My Peter Pugger has chain drive

One thing is the chain needs to be lubed well with thicker oil.

If it dry it will get sticky and not make the sprocket bend which maybe an issue with this unit?

Have you lubed the chain? Clay dust is hard on chains I'm sure.

This is some of the best I have found and used on my Peter Pugger chain.Its made in Germany

http://www.amazon.com/einszett-960505-Ultra-Chain-Grease/dp/B001KXIHFG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1432447307&sr=8-3&keywords=chain+grease

Maybe Shimpo has poor USA service-I have no idea on that.

Its got to be better than speedball.

Mark

Just to kind of close this topic off in case anyone searches in the future with the same issue.

I went up today with a can of motorcycle chain grease took the Slabroller apart once more, cleaned the chains then sprayed it, the sprocket and the spindle with the grease let it sit for a few then spent some some rotating everything to get the grease worked in really well. It's working pretty good, the chain is still a tad touchy but am hoping as the grease does its job it will not be too much of an issue. The knob that wouldn't go on was solved by examining the spindle and finding 2 grooves with small ridges in the exact spot it was catching. We could only assume that a wrench or something was used to get it off and it marred the surface. Judicious use of a file smoothed this out and the handle slid on easily. We tried it out at varying heights and are hoping it will continue to do the job it was made for.

So anyone reading this because their Slabroller is skipping, binding and acting cruddy.... Go grease that poor thing! I in fact am going to check my own out tomorrow to make sure it doesn't need some preventative greasing to keep it happy.

That's all folks!

T

Archived