Glaze Firing Slow Down Between Range Question.

If you are working with a dark clay, and you have already done a very long bisque firing with a downdraft vent, is there any point during your glaze firing of slowing the heat up from 1400-1900 by a good amount. Say 50% slower than normal. To make sure any left over carbons that might have been missed by the bisque firing get burnt out. Or do you think the glaze layer will trap them anyways?

The reason's I ask is I have almost solved my bloating issues with my black clay, however here and there I still have some bloating. I am thinking about trying to find a solution for this. Either holding my bisque at 1500 for 30 minutes then again at 1800 for 30 minutes, or just slowing my glaze firing down during this period.

Another idea is to drill another hole in my lid to get more oxygen in there.

My only concern is if the glazes will be layered enough here to prevent the gas from escaping.

Thoughts? Am I crazy? I am thinking about trying it on my next firing.

I dont stack or clump my black clay when I bisque. I do in porcelain but thats a completely different monster. I stack and only bisque that to cone 06. 

However I have been trying for a while to solve the rest of my bloating issues. I nearly have it fixed, but I was thinking about adding in a hold in the glaze firing.

I am not familiar with the term sintering I will have to look it up and read about it.

I will try holding my bisque at 1500 for 2 hours on my next firing of black clay.

Thanks

Archived