Old Paragon Lt-4

I have an old Paragon LT-4 that I bought used and I have only used it for bisque firings. It has one small bit of broken brick and one element pokes out a bit and other than that the kiln setter works fine and I think it is in good working order- just old. 

I am thinking of using it for its original high fire purpose- at least to cone 6. Think I should have it checked out & bring it in to a ceramics store before I try this in case there is some issue that I can't see now? Do I have to fix that small brick part now before trying for cone 6? Maybe run it empty like the manual suggests to make sure it works at cone 6? It is currently about 2 or 3 feet from the walls in my basement and that is fine for 04 bisque. Should I push it further out for cone 6?

If it were my kiln, I would go ahead and fire to cone 6. You don't need to fire it empty unless you are not sure the kiln will reach cone 6. The small broken brick likely does not need maintenance. But you should fix the bulging element so that it doesn't get worse. The kiln should be at least 12" away from the nearest wall. So, you don't need to push the kiln farther away than it already is.

Good luck with your firings!

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA

ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com

Archived