Is It Safe To Drink From / Microwave?

I recently just finished my first course in ceramics and it was great! I might be addicted now.

anyways...

I was experimenting with using a red iron oxide wash on a couple of my mugs and I love how they turned out.

I painted on the iron oxide wash pretty heavily underneath a korean celadon glaze and it made this amazing effect that I've unofficially dubbed metal tyedye.

Later  when I was looking at them I realized that iron rusts and is, obviously, metal which is not good in microwaves.

There are some spots on them that look and feel more like metal than glaze.

Are there any health risks to using these mugs for drinking (coffee, tea, etc. ) on a regular basis and or using them in the microwave?

tl6N5gh.jpg

Those mugs look great! Congratulations. Unfortunately now you are sucked in like the rest of us.

Try;

1.Glaze the mugs in Celadon, then brush iron on top.

2.Practise some brush techniques on paper with India ink and a bamboo brush.

3.Try using less iron but in a polka dot pattern

Check out my gallery. Those swirly rimmed Christmas candle holders are done with iron on an unfired glaze.

TJR.

Iron oxide washes are commonly used in pottery, so I wouldn't think there is a problem.  However, I'll leave the technical advice to the experts here.  Mostly, I want to say welcome, and those are great mugs for your first class!  I love the way the handle on the left looks like a drawer pull.

There are some spots on them that look and feel more like metal than glaze.

Are there any health risks to using these mugs for drinking (coffee, tea, etc. ) on a regular basis and or using them in the microwave?

The heavy metal look/feel could be problematic . . . the iron is not fully melted and it could leech out and affect taste of coffee, tea, etc.  The heavy metal areas also have a porous surface which could trap things and make it difficult to clean thoroughly.  In the future, I'd keep the iron oxide on the outside only, not inside. 

Archived