Rolling Pins

Came across this site on Etsy for laser carved rolling pins. The larger ones are approx 2 1/2" diameter X 10" rolling surface. Nice to see some alternatives to the ones at potters supply stores. (there are 3 pages of designs, sets of small rollers plus the larger ones)

il_570xN.711475726_97m1.jpg

usually clay does not stick to anything made of wood that is not treated with varnish, oil or anything else.  have been using wood in so many ways for years and the only problem was when the clay was too wet.  getting woodworkers to make things and NOT put anything on the wood is the hard part.  had someone make a bat holder for smaller bats and he was so proud of his work that he varnished it twice.  the small bats would not fit the hole with all that varnish in it.  they also worry about clay because they imagine it is waterfilled wet so they want to protect their precious wood from becoming soggy from touching clay.

the reality is that the wood touches the clay for such a brief time it has little effect on either except transferring shapes from the wood to the clay. 

lee, if i get deep impressions from leaves, the rolling pin shown will give impressions on any clay that is not heavily grogged.  my clay shows a single thread if one falls on it and gets rolled in.

I emailed the shop owner about having a custom large pin made, no extra cost for custom work sounds really good to me. I am just working out the design, will post back how it works out.

See attached design - is it ok?

You don't have to pay any additional cost for custom order. If you like it you can order any of the pin and write in message that you would like this one. 

We used it on clay and it was ok but the clay shouldn't be very sticky.

usually clay does not stick to anything made of wood that is not treated with varnish, oil or anything else.  have been using wood in so many ways for years and the only problem was when the clay was too wet.  getting woodworkers to make things and NOT put anything on the wood is the hard part.  had someone make a bat holder for smaller bats and he was so proud of his work that he varnished it twice.  the small bats would not fit the hole with all that varnish in it.  they also worry about clay because they imagine it is waterfilled wet so they want to protect their precious wood from becoming soggy from touching clay.

the reality is that the wood touches the clay for such a brief time it has little effect on either except transferring shapes from the wood to the clay. 

lee, if i get deep impressions from leaves, the rolling pin shown will give impressions on any clay that is not heavily grogged.  my clay shows a single thread if one falls on it and gets rolled in.

That is an interesting comment.  I have had problems with my slab making wood roller sticking occasionally  and it could indicate my clay is to wet from your comments.  

But on the other hand I had built some wooden forms out of pine which I varnished and found that if I allow the clay to dry in them for several days it does not stick.  I am using low fire clay which has a high shrinkage and the shrinkage actually pulls it away from the form.  

Archived