Heating Rate

abz811

Hi there,

Does anyone know if temperature would rise faster in an empty kiln then in a full loaded kiln?

This the story. I bought an electric mini test kiln made for overglaze fire / china paint. Its inside measurements: 32cm x 18cm x 25cm(very small inside space). It can fire up to max 800 degree C. As in the instruction sheet, it says the kiln would take about 50 mins to reach 800 degree C and turn off automatically then cool down. I tested this new kiln while it's empty (without any shelf,nothing) and it actually took only 16 mins to reach 800 degree C then took 1 1/2 hours to cool down to 200 degree C. 

I think it heats up extremely faster than what it is described in the instruction sheet, as I did this with it empty. I wonder if it would be slower when it is fully loaded.

I have been brave enough to load my works in to try until I have some voice from you guys. Because I worry this is a faulty kiln. 

I look forward to your opinions!  

Many thanks

Adding mass (your pottery) will make the kiln take a longer time to fire up because there is more mass to heat.  The pottery will absorb the heat being produced by the elements.  Just heating up air, which has little mass, goes much quicker (as you found out).  Same for cooling, a fully loaded kiln will cool slower as the heat dissipates more slowly than a less full or empty kiln.  The wares retain heat while it cools. 

Archived