Any Way To Get An Off Topic Forum?

I wouldn't post anything on the internet that I am not happy with the world knowing, then again, I don't really mind everybody knowing most things. I watched a good talk about privacy being dead by 2030 ( 

)

I like the idea of a place for off-topics, who needs moderation  :lol: I also understand the decision as it is not me trying to run the forum  :ph34r:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW....I did not think this issue through at all! THANK YOU  Sherman and bcskepottery for such importation clarification! I like the invitation only Facebook idea. (No, sorry, I am not up for doing it myself...would join and participate tho, for sure.) 

I really understand the wish for a more social compartment of the forum, but some times, I come here in total desperation over a studio issue that I can't solve.   I would be even more desperate if off topic silly stuff was mixed in to a thread where I was praying for some help.

High Bridge, I think that  you tube prediction  for 2030  is dead on, and I fight it every chance I get.  I will loose, but it helps a bit to think I went down fighting.

We do get off topic often in the forum. That said, I really don't want an area where the subject matter could turn into an informational archive for Romance or Mystery novels. :unsure:

As we all know once posted, in the heat of a moment, in despair or whatever, it is there forever!

I love working with the forums, and the good people here, and at times have to do very difficult things to ensure that the forum stays healthy. These things are not done without consulting with all of the moderators and sometimes the administrators. A lot more goes on in the background to protect the forum, and the folks in the forum than many might believe. All this very , , , carefully and emphatically.

Well if everyone seems to like the idea I have no problem creating a Facebook group with approval needed to join and set to private... Just let me know the word and if you have ideas on what it should be called?

My thought was  :  "CAD off topic pottery group" or something along their lines? (of course with limitations of discussion... like no politics.. that can ruin friends very fast) 

Guest JBaymore

I love working with the forums, and the good people here, and at times have to do very difficult things to ensure that the forum stays healthy. These things are not done without consulting with all of the moderators and sometimes the administrators. A lot more goes on in the background to protect the forum, and the folks in the forum than many might believe. All this very , , , carefully and emphatically.

What Pres said.

best,

.................john

Guest JBaymore

My thought was  :  "CAD off topic pottery group" or something along their lines? (of course with limitations of discussion... like no politics.. that can ruin friends very fast) 

Rebekah,

Sherman specifically said that you can't reference something like "CAD" or "Potters Council" or anything like that in the title.

So it has to be something that is not clearly"linked" to the commercially identifiable parties that own or sponsor this forum.

best,

.....................john

Let's keep this as is, or evolving down the same path,  there are many avenues available for other types of groups. 

Yes, we always get off topic, but that's more an aside than the focus, and usually shows a bit of the personality  behind the writing.

What the moderators do I do not know but it is effective in that there is none of the nasty outpourings evident that one occasionally, because I only am an occasional, reads in  the comments on youtube video clips, for example.

Guest JBaymore

Speaking to the previously mentioned privacy issues ... I noticed this morning that In the area that tells which users are online ... Names included Bing, Google and Yahoo.

Yup... the search engine Bots.

best,

.....................john

Or...mudslingers.  Mud slingers room?

A thought. How about  adding in brackets (Off Topic) in the header  for the occasional poster that doesn't want to use a separate BBS like a Mud Slingers room? It'd let people  ignore the thread and give the sysops  the ability to moderate if necessary (quickly).  Any new thread without the  (Off Topic ) Bracket gets Zapped Immediately,

Sherman (site administration) and bcskepottery provided us with reasonable and clear explanations as to why we couldn't/shouldn't add in "off topic" matters. I wonder if maybe, instead of trying to find a "work around", we might be better off just following the suggestion to start a private Facebook "Mudslingers" group??? PS. What is a BBS? 

I thought I'd try to set up a Facebook group but found out no matter how I try, "it" always knows it is me (my current account) and I have been unable to set up another identity from which to make a group.

I found that I can do that on Yahoo, so now I am wondering if there are enough members active in these forums to make it worth the "work" of setting up a closed/private group (with minimal monitoring).

My concern is whether I could really keep it up and I would not want to be responsible for letting people down by not being able to sustain a follow-through.

That said, IF there is enough interest and IF nobody else will do it, I am willing to give it a shot.

SO...respond here, or e-mail me   claygurl@yahoo.com   and after a week we'll see what's what!  :rolleyes: 

I once mentioned an Off Topic section.   I understand and respect the reasons for not having one.

That said, the amount of off topic comments on this forum are substantial.  Of course they are handled very respectfully ... no one SHOUTING and telling people to stop hijacking and derailing their threads.  In my guild forums we've found Off Topic a good way to let the chit chatters carry on and not detract from the serious only readers.

BTW ... this is a very respectful board.

Archived