Peep Hole Plugs

I have an older Skutt kiln and the peep hole are worn so that the plugs are loose. Can I make some plugs for the holes i do not intend to peek in out of an old kiln brick and insert them. I would not plan to remove them during firing , most likely would only do the bottom 3 holes.?

I have a somewhat different issue with loose peep plugs.  The raccoons take them out and carry them out into the woods behind the studio.  It's like being on an Easter egg hunt, but I always find them if I walk far enough.  I wish I could see this happening and I always get a laugh when I see it has happened again.  I do keep a couple of extras around, just in case.  They don't seem to have a any interest in the stilts, but did once manage to take a full 2 lb. coffee can of glaze up and over the farm fence behind the kiln area.  That had to have been a group effort, since the lid was not off the still full can when I found it, several yards behind the studio!.

Clay lover, if raccoons are getting into your studio, they must be making quite a mess!  There must be some way to critter proof your structure...or is it open air.  And, I gotta ask, how do you know it's raccoons?  (The glaze container makes me wonder...)

The  kiln is outside the studio in a  very large,covered concrete area. the spray booth is also in that area, that's how they got the excess glaze bucket.  There have been raccoons in the outside shed for years, but not inside my studio. I keep water for them and when they have babies, I put out food for them, they are the most cute things ever and are very used to us. I have not had any damage over the years and often see their little feet prints on things.  The day the glaze can went traveling, there were masses of prints, funny to try and interpret.  I wish I could set out a wet slab and get them to dance in it, what a neat pots that could make.

thank you for the idea!  not the raccoon prints (which is a great idea), but the idea that the things that disappear have been moved by raccoons.  not that i have simply forgotten where i put my glasses, the keys, the remote, the phone, the book i was reading, the pots i was packing, the camera, the dog leash, the...................................

Archived