Community Challenge #2

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought this was just spring-related and not a specific plant pot. Phooey! That kills both my pieces. One was a tea vessel and another a fatboy mug...hnngh! Ah, well. Better get throwing. :D

HAHA You're not the only one. I was so excited, I was all ready to submit my wildflower batter bowl which came out awesome. That's okay, I want to make a flower pot in this design anyway. Now I have an excuse to go play in the mud for hours.

This is the DESIGN, anyway:

http://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/gallery/image/5516-wildflower-batter-bowl-and-flower-teaspoon-rests/It COULD be used as a plant pot!! ;)

Okay, I have thrown a plant pot with attached saucer! I've tried it before and this is the first time I've succeeded!! Speckled buff, white slip inside (for bright color) and will have carved California wildflowers on the outside like my batter bowl. I'll take a progress photo tomorrow.

It has been a while since I made this sort of mistake.  Large pockets of air trapped beneath the little house-parts attached did not get pierced to allow expanding gas/air to escape...and boy, what a mess it makes in the kiln when things blow up *sigh*.  At any rate, I still have time to complete the challenge.  Only time will tell if I actually learned something from this:

Tornado Strikes Kiln? :(

I saw the photo and sat with my hand over my mouth for a really long time. :( :( :( So sorry!! A few weeks ago I had my first major explosion in the kiln, something wet that I thought was dry, and it exploded, like really really exploded, down from the top there was shrapnel all through every shelf of the kiln. Fortunately a bisque load so though many of my things on the top shelf were damaged the other potter's things were okay! 

Here is the progress on my spring planter concept-pics of the greenware, and 2 sides of the glazed pot. I am making significant changes for the second version. I will not be using the gray/dark (a bit over fired)  body. I like the lighter look of the greenware much better, so I am going to re-do it in a white body. I will probably keep the inner glaze (Laguna Crystal Forest), but not so heavy. The outside is yet to be determined, but I will be using more texture (stamping) with more clear glaze (i.e. simple and plain areas), and more refined coloration in the limited areas where I use any. Also will do a higher, more visible foot. 

The original concept that leaned to a darkish body and a sparse leaf/flower treatment was due to NH weather...we are only recently seeing anything resembling spring and the heat was still kicking on 2 weeks ago! However, it is now time to "lighten up" LOL and it is getting warmer and flowers are now coming up.

The ripped and flame-style pinched rim is an ongoing theme in my work. I often employ ripping, tearing, rough edges, free-cut slabs, raw bodies, and chiseled cavities in table pieces and wall sculpture and have not done many vessels. Making this initial planter was fun...it is almost "pretty", and I don't "do" much pretty. I might have to try that a little more, now that I am using (learning to) a wheel and an electric kiln and glazes with color! 

post-63409-0-71306800-1434330984_thumb.jpg

post-63409-0-77809400-1434330997_thumb.jpg

post-63409-0-75433500-1434331005_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

it can be done! I have some pretty good GF brownie recipes.

You had me worried for a moment...GF has multiple translations:

• GF - Urban slang for Girl Friend - We'll not go there in terms of how that might relate to brownies
  • GF - Symbol for Cyclosarin, not very nice stuff
  • GF - The 200 year-old piping system company
  • GF - Ah, yes. Gluten Free

*snicker*

-Paul

Send me your address and your brownie preference, and they will be in the mail shortly. Ask around for an opinion of their quality.

Received my brownies this morning!  They are awesome Becky……went GREAT with my morning cup of coffee!  Thank you!  Thank you!  Hey guys…..get your challenge in; the brownies are worth the effort!  :rolleyes:

OK Becky...I can't stand the wait any longer. i know we have until the end of July but the needs of the brownie-maker MUST take priority. I did post a proof-of-pot and will therefore send you my address forthwith.  If it helps with your batch recipes, I will try the GF.  Any kind of brownie is fine with me, except those pretenders called Blondies or any brownie with...ugh...white chocolate chips. THANKS & THANKS again! 

Final Entry - RoGryphon

Hopefully I did that right.  Here is my little succulent planter with a fox and what are supposed to be foxgloves drawn on it.  I had to find a picture and kinda copy it since I really can't take things out of my head and put them on stuff, never works out.  Playing with red clay for the 1st time.

post-58820-0-14675800-1436322805_thumb.jpg

Your son is also a potter, awesome!  That has to feel pretty good.

Tell him that I really like his forms.  I like the old/ industrial look they have.  Are they meant to be functional?

@Benzine,

I will definitely pass along your message(s).  Matt is the one with the MFA degree...I call him the real potter.  Some of Matt's work is functional. The  people-like forms are intended to be more sculptural than functional.

-Paul

I can def see a family relationship between Matt's forms and your Tornado, which has a nice, loose 'attitude' belying the experienced control I know it required!

Final Entry - Community Challenge #2

The Wicked Witch is Dead - Tornado Pot

If this works correctly, clicking on the image above should display three views of the finished tornado planter project.  This has been fun.  I appreciate the encouragement from others following my initial bisque explosion of the first version of this project.  There are a few spin-off (pun intended) projects with a similar form but without the protruding legs of the wicked witch.  I'll get some of those into the gallery once I can grab images from my camera instead of the cell phone.

Peace,

-Paul

Archived