Community Challenge #2

This is like the question of how to have a "bikini body", which is answered by having a body, and wearing a bikini. Take the vessel you made, add dirt and seeds and you have a planter. Drill a few holes in the bottom if you really want to.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're right of course, but I can't stand the idea of the dirt covering up my little blue tadpoles.  No worries; there was a time when I could throw a hundred planters in a day.  Surely I'll be able to come up with one more.

(Mark, I used a kiln that does not have a controller on it...another mistake)

Paul I have 5 kilns which two are electric and none )of the 5)have controllers so I do not know if they would have helped but they never have done a thing for me yet?

I'm still out of control-thats why I moved out of house at 15 years old-I hated controllers.

If that F-1 got into kiln does that mean the spy pugs where out?

Good thing it was tumble stacked as it still looks tumble stacked even after the F-1 hit.

Mark

(Mark, I used a kiln that does not have a controller on it...another mistake)

Paul I have 5 kilns which two are electric and none )of the 5)have controllers so I do not know if they would have helped but they never have done a thing for me yet?

I'm still out of control-thats why I moved out of house at 15 years old-I hated controllers.

If that F-1 got into kiln does that mean the spy pugs where out?

Good thing it was tumble stacked as it still looks tumble stacked even after the F-1 hit.

Mark

For me, the pre-heat option on a controller is a life-saver...holding questionably-dry pieces for several hours at/near 200F is like life insurance (especially if any student work is included).

The mess pictured early was about three layers down in the stack...'pretty lucky that the top levels didn't break other pieces as they collapsed on the larger piece.  And since F1 was a disaster, I started on F2 last night...bigger, stronger, and perhaps more aggressive.  What some people won't do for a brownie, right? :D

-Paul

Attention Campers!

Get those challenge pieces done...the brownies from @BeckyH arrived today at my place and they are definitely worth kicking in some extra effort to get yours.  Thanks Becky.  I am in awe of your baking skills.  The brownies are delicious!!

-Paul

Too bad about the tornado... I was tying to the community challenge

by representing "spring" weather activities. One went thru my yard a couple yes ago in Hanceville, AL. This is why you should keep a full tank of gas...so you can leave. It kilt a bunch of people in Cullman, then followed me 127 miles

south and kilt more in Elmore Co. It was on a April 27th which the weather

and news observe each year now. Its the same that leveled Tuscaloosa.

See ya,

Alabama

Hopefully we will not see any tornado's like that this year.  Luckily no one I know was killed, did have a friend that had the roof ripped off over her head as they hid in the closet in Gardendale.  I was driving from Bham to south Shelby Co with my hubby calling me to make sure I was ok.

When is our deadline, I need to make something this weekend.  The brownies are a definite incentive.

Hopefully we will not see any tornado's like that this year.  Luckily no one I know was killed, did have a friend that had the roof ripped off over her head as they hid in the closet in Gardendale.  I was driving from Bham to south Shelby Co with my hubby calling me to make sure I was ok.

When is our deadline, I need to make something this weekend.  The brownies are a definite incentive.

30th July is the deadline

Awesome indeed Paul.  Is this an item, you intend to start making on a production scale?  I think a lot of customers, would snatch them up.

Thanks Ben!  The wheel-thrown pieces take very little time.  If I want to do this on a grander scale (i.e. more than one) I'll need to figure out a way to make the legs and houses much faster...maybe a press mold.  Mold-making is not in my list of strengths, but I might give it another try.  Assuming that this piece survives, I do have a pedestal lined up for a July show just to see what kind of reactions this gets.

-Paul

Though, honestly the form of the vase/ pot on its own, is enough in my opinion.  Based just on the reaction here, I think a lot of people would be interested in that form.

@Benzine

I'll have to think about the form being enough.  From what I understand, planters are not the easiest pieces to sell...unless there is something truly unusual about them.  I'll also have to contend with some ribbing (no pun intended) from my son, Matt, since the forms are getting close to some of his figurative projects.

Thanks for the note!

-Paul

Though, honestly the form of the vase/ pot on its own, is enough in my opinion.  Based just on the reaction here, I think a lot of people would be interested in that form.

@Benzine

I'll have to think about the form being enough.  From what I understand, planters are not the easiest pieces to sell...unless there is something truly unusual about them.  I'll also have to contend with some ribbing (no pun intended) from my son, Matt, since the forms are getting close to some of his figurative projects.

Thanks for the note!

-Paul

Your son is also a potter, awesome!  That has to feel pretty good.

Tell him that I really like his forms.  I like the old/ industrial look they have.  Are they meant to be functional?

Your son is also a potter, awesome!  That has to feel pretty good.

Tell him that I really like his forms.  I like the old/ industrial look they have.  Are they meant to be functional?

@Benzine,

I will definitely pass along your message(s).  Matt is the one with the MFA degree...I call him the real potter.  Some of Matt's work is functional. The  people-like forms are intended to be more sculptural than functional.

-Paul

Becky, can I let you know when I get back?  I'm going to be on the road for a while.  I like the chewy extra chocolate kind!

Celia, no it's not wax resist.  To make a long story short, these are shapes cut from thin plastic, and smoothed onto the leatherhard pot with a little water to make the surface sticky.  Then the pot is dipped (or in this case, sprayed) with slip.  When the slip is set, I peel off the plastic to leave the unslipped surface.  In this case I used a chopstick to make dents for the eyes, where the glaze could collect and be a little darker.  There's about a dozen tadpoles on this pot.

You can use wax resist with this technique.  Had I brushed resist on to the pot over the plastic shapes, and then removed the shapes before spraying the slip, I'd have gotten blue tadpoles against a pale green background.

Final Entry - Mossyrock

To me, spring is all about the birds singing and the gorgeous blooms after a long drab winter.  So, my final entry is a vase for the blooms decorated with birds!  (Thanks for reminding me that I can combine pics to show both sides.)  Love this forum!

post-2552-0-55854900-1433774115_thumb.jpg

post-2552-0-55854900-1433774115_thumb.jpg

Final Entry - Evelyne Schoenmann

Here comes my contribution. A plant pot without the plant (apart from the leaves outside the pot...).

Grogged stoneware, sand rendering, 1x fired in electric kiln to cone 7. No glaze (clay color turns yellow when fired high).

Becky: you don't have to send the brownies all the way to Switzerland ;)

Evelyne

mangrove 003

Archived