Community Challenge #2

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like it!! And how the heck did you finish that so fast?!!

Timing was just in-the-cards on this one, .   Drying conditions were near perfect. I had room in a bisque firing with a bunch of bowls. And, the last glaze firing of the semester just needed a little re-adjusting on the top shelf to fit this puppy into the load... Voila'

Thanks,

-Paul

I've reached the stopping point for forming, texturing, and slip application for my project.  I'll likely let this dry (slowly) for a week before the initial bisque firing.  Anyway, here's to hoping that many of you are making progress...how could you possibly procrastinate when there are @BeckyH brownies on the line  ;) .

tornado green

-Paul

hahahahahahahahahaha!   you did it!  love the legs and the tiny houses!   good for you!  i think an airplant would be perfect in it.

tomorrow the young lady comes to teach me to post pictures and maybe get a website going.  i want to have her set up my pictures just like yours.  cannot see how you do it but maybe she will know.

Greenware for spring fling challenge-planter is wheeled, altered, torn, stamped & incised-cone 6 vashon gray; no clue re: glaze, or not, or what & how..or do something else by the due date! Had a lot of fun..got me out of a slump, which is always a good thing, "wonky" treatment or not! Pics are of 1 pot, pre/post foot treatment.  I will be expecting brownies at a future date LOL

post-63409-0-80691200-1431988955_thumb.jpg

post-63409-0-97497100-1431988963_thumb.jpg

post-63409-0-80691200-1431988955_thumb.jpg

post-63409-0-97497100-1431988963_thumb.jpg

Greenware for spring fling challenge-planter is wheeled, altered, torn, stamped & incised-cone 6 vashon gray; no clue re: glaze, or not, or what & how..or do something else by the due date! Had a lot of fun..got me out of a slump, which is always a good thing, "wonky" treatment or not! Pics are of 1 pot, pre/post foot treatment.  I will be expecting brownies at a future date LOL

@LeeU, I think you have the makings of a very happy home for some lucky plant  ;)   I'd consider keeping the treatment fairly simple...maybe a red iron oxide wash that is wiped clean enough to catch the edges of the stamped impressions and accent the deeper shadows of the rim...clear glaze, particularly if there is any speckle in the clay. I envision something flowering (perhaps Cyclamen?) and something like sphagnum moss flowing over the edges.

I rate this as Definitely Brownie-Worthy,

-Paul

The rules posted above state that only one image be attached to an entry.  Sometimes my work has four sides, each decorated totally different.  So one image wouldn't really show the decoration for the entire piece.  I could possibly photograph it at an angle to show two sides in one photograph, but the other side couldn't be shown. Is there anyone else out there that might have this same problem? (Well, not really a problem, but you know what I mean  :rolleyes: )  

I have removed the rule about one image, the reason it was there is because having 5 images per entry to take across to a results thread would be time consuming and each post I can only link 5 picture onto. I will still take one pictures into the final entry thread unless I feel two is really needed. If you want every picture in then do a composite of all pictures into one.

Thanks!  Now why didn't I think of combining the pictures of all sides into one in the first place????  

It has been a while since I made this sort of mistake.  Large pockets of air trapped beneath the little house-parts attached did not get pierced to allow expanding gas/air to escape...and boy, what a mess it makes in the kiln when things blow up *sigh*.  At any rate, I still have time to complete the challenge.  Only time will tell if I actually learned something from this:

Not Everything Turns Out As Planned

Tornado Strikes Kiln? :(

Only time will tell if I actually learned something from this:

my guess is it was still to wet for your heating cycle-I have found wet works dries better in middle or top of kiln on slow heat. Bottom tends to heat fast and last so I keep wet work off the bottom. I do not see any shelves so was work piled high?

Time to vacuum the elements.

Mark

I had something like this happen when I first started. It took me like 5 hours to make sure all the little pieces of shards were out of my elements. I vacuumed but there were pieces that my shop vac couldn't break loose. I went around with toothpicks and tweezers pulling each shard out and using a flashlight to confirm it was all good. It was worth the effort, kiln been running good ever since thankfully. 

Sorry to see this happen, turn on some good music and clean that baby out. 

Next time this happens to me I am breaking my kiln down, much easier than bending over into the thing for hours.

Only time will tell if I actually learned something from this:

my guess is it was still to wet for your heating cycle-I have found wet works dries better in middle or top of kiln on slow heat. Bottom tends to heat fast and last so I keep wet work off the bottom. I do not see any shelves so was work piled high?

Time to vacuum the elements.

Mark

Mark, I used a kiln that does not have a controller on it...another mistake, but this piece was very dry. Thicker portions of the piece were fine.  The (nearly) one cubic inch of trapped air was not happy...not your average incidental air pocket in a side wall.

And yes, I have vacuumed and tooth-picked tiny pieces from all of the elements...probably looking a little like the legs that were sticking out from the original piece.

Yep. this was a tumble stacked load and the biggest piece was on the bottom...the rest was a bunch of bowls, loaded up to the top.  All of the bowls are fine (thank goodness).

-Paul

Looks like your tornado is a little more life like than intended. Look at all that destruction in the kiln :P

Always worth spending the hour or two properly cleaning out element grooves.

I think this was an F1 tornado...and keeping this on the PG scale, let's call that a Fudge 1. ;)

-Paul

It has been a while since I made this sort of mistake.  Large pockets of air trapped beneath the little house-parts attached did not get pierced to allow expanding gas/air to escape...and boy, what a mess it makes in the kiln when things blow up *sigh*.  At any rate, I still have time to complete the challenge.  Only time will tell if I actually learned something from this:

Tornado Strikes Kiln? :(

Oh, that sucks. I hate when that happens, but it doesn't care what we think. I thought it was a very nice piece. Wish I'd thought of it. 

Paul, you might find it interesting to Google "firing closed forms clay"  Lots of interesting theorizing, as seems to be the case with every clay-related subject.  You'd think after so many millenia of firing clay there'd be more certainty.

The consensus among the experts seems to be that small closed forms can be fired successfully, and that the worst an air pocket will do, if fired carefully, is to pop off attachments or crack.  But they also seem to agree that a void can allow moisture to stay in the clay longer than it might otherwise, and by that effect could cause an explosion at the site of the void, if fired too quickly.

At least you're getting brownies, so silver linings.  When I blow stuff up, all I get is a sad.

I will!

Actually, I have to admit I made something that didn't fit the requirements, which apparently I did not read carefully enough.  It was a bowl with spring tadpoles swimming around the rim.  But I should be able to make a planter with the same theme.

Archived