Community Challenge #2

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

plant pot that has been influenced from your research into the season of spring.

i have 3 potentials ...

a plant pot  to me ...includes vase.... vase like vessels

now to research  plant or plant like forms and their spring like relationship to vessels..... i wish there are ikebana people closer to north florida

ill break the ice with

work in progress

http://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/gallery/image/4022-woodfired-boat-style-vase/

post-25544-0-10110000-1431090877_thumb.jpg

post-25544-0-10110000-1431090877_thumb.jpg

OK. I'm sharing this as a work-in-progress because I've come to the conclusion that this challenge (for me, at least) is not so much about the plant container being a work-in-progress but about finding a new organic-but-wheel-thrown zone inside of me that IS a work-in-progress.  I'll finish and fire these first runs at the tornado inspired pot but I really want this to take on more of a life of its own:

Sketch to First Round of Pots

-Paul

If only I could even begin to throw like that Paul! And as for throwing something that closely resembles the original sketch........

I'm still at the - "see what shape it comes out as" stage of throwing.

TahDah! a tall bowl..... , a shallow bowl....., a straight-sided bowl...., every one unique, every one a surprise!

Remember when you were in this place?

paul, i wish i could sketch like you.... then i wish my pots would look like sketches....   will narrow base be unstable?

I think sketching become part of the exercise to think-through the process, sometimes identifying things that just won't work well, before getting into the clay. So far, the narrower base doesn't seem to be a problem...it is probably 4"-5" in diameter. That width along with drain pebbles and soil should make things quite stable when finished.

Tornado pot looks epic. Keep up the good work. Interested to see what glaze you choose for it to make it tornado like!

I am asking myself the same question.  I'm struggling with two approaches: 1. Use a glaze that (usually) breaks with some level of dramatic change, or 2. Experiment with some splattering technique (maybe with underglaze)  to simulate motion.  The first approach is well within my comfort zone...the second is a stretch (for me).

If only I could even begin to throw like that Paul! And as for throwing something that closely resembles the original sketch........

I'm still at the - "see what shape it comes out as" stage of throwing.

TahDah! a tall bowl..... , a shallow bowl....., a straight-sided bowl...., every one unique, every one a surprise!

Remember when you were in this place?

Oh Celia, I am flattered. I believe that there are days when control over what the clay will do is an illusion...for whatever reason the clay wins some of those battles. Lots and lots of practice and lots and lots of re-cycling the same clay eventually tilts the wins in the potter's favor.  Still, its is some of those surprises that become the unique, artistic touches that separate us from manufactured ware.

Thanks all of you for the feedback!  The next round of pots are nearing the assembly stage now...I'll try to post a progress (or Tah-Dah moment) picture later :)

-Paul

paul, pictures of tornadoes doing their damage sometimes include the items that are being tossed around.  what if you add a couple of cows or cars or such to the spinning part and make the stable base a house shape? :rolleyes:  :unsure:

thank heavens i only see pictures of tornadoes, not the actual thing!!!

paul, pictures of tornadoes doing their damage sometimes include the items that are being tossed around.  what if you add a couple of cows or cars or such to the spinning part and make the stable base a house shape? :rolleyes:  :unsure:

thank heavens i only see pictures of tornadoes, not the actual thing!!!

@oldlady - I'll have to chew on that one...there is a scale challenge (sky-tall-funnel vs house/car/cow) that could be an interesting juxtaposition.  I could definitely see this idea working on a really big pot....at the same time, does this level of detail become a distraction and take something away from the plant?  I do like the idea...'may just have to give this a try (back to the sketchpad :)

Go with a brushing glaze and brush it along your spirals maybe? So that it has the appear of whirling down or up? I dunno just a thought.

-I'm playing with slinging on colored slip as the pot spins on the wheel.  The pot may not capture the feel of a tornado...but looking at the wall behind my wheel, I'm pretty sure I'm seeing the aftermath of a storm's path.  I'm not big on brush stroke techniques, but I am hoping to accent the slip-slinging with additional glaze accents.

Flying bunnies. Because. ^_^

- No.Because. *snicker*

Thanks again,

-Paul

guinea, today i saw a bunny you would love.  i know you love all bunnies but this one was pretty special.  he is about 3 inches high, made of stoneware and has ears so long he is tripping on one of them. he also has a garlic press tail and big feet.

denise makes animals with personality.  she had 3 hedgehogs presenting dandelions, a pair of bunny salt and peppers, several sheep with curly wool, a siamese cat with a very surprised look at a grey mouse, some chickens with tiny chicks and her taco birds with enormous feet.  except for the birds, everything was only 2 to 3 inches high.

there were several toad abodes, one a red cap mushroom with a leaf swing and opening door that a family bought to put in their garden.  i took  pictures of everything i could.  it is hard because there is so much at an 8 potters show. it is fun to see the various influences at work.  denise used to be the only toad house maker, now there are 4 and each interprets the form differently.  one is a castle tower with a door that looks like a shark bit the wall.  another group looks like actual stones you might find lying around.

spent hours and hours out in the sun with friends who love clay the way i do.  exhausting and somewhat profitable but the best part is just that   

ain't clay fun???

FINAL ENTRY.

Allow me to introduce the mighty Qīng Lóng, which means "azure dragon." This sacred beast is a god of spring in a way, and since I'd been having trouble with my blue underglazes turning out right, I just made the interior a deep jewel blue. The swirlies on the saucer water-catcher thingy are blue, too.

I know this is sort of old, but he's just perfect for the theme. ^_^ I kinda am having trouble throwing stuff right now, and I wanted something good for the challenge...I missed the last one! Poop.

Hope you like him!

post-63665-0-57469200-1431322392_thumb.jpg

post-63665-0-57469200-1431322392_thumb.jpg

HighBridge: thank you very much that you continue this excellent idea of a community challenge! Kudos to you. Does the spring pot must have flowers or plants in it when posting the Final Entry?

Guinea: is this your Final Entry? If yes, you have to stick to the rules ;) , written in the first post here:

Only attach one image to your final entry post along with the words "Final Entry - (Forum name)" This will make sure you are not missed out of the results thread.

We don't want to miss your beautilful pot in the end...

Evelyne

HighBridge: thank you very much that you continue this excellent idea of a community challenge! Kudos to you. Does the spring pot must have flowers or plants in it when posting the Final Entry?

Guinea: is this your Final Entry? If yes, you have to stick to the rules ;) , written in the first post here:

Only attach one image to your final entry post along with the words "Final Entry - (Forum name)" This will make sure you are not missed out of the results thread.

We don't want to miss your beautilful pot in the end...

Evelyne

Thank you Evelyne :D The plant pot does not need a plant in for the final entry but there is nothing stopping you putting one in.

It does make it easier to scroll through the topic and see all the red font saying 'final entry' for collecting them together.

The rules posted above state that only one image be attached to an entry.  Sometimes my work has four sides, each decorated totally different.  So one image wouldn't really show the decoration for the entire piece.  I could possibly photograph it at an angle to show two sides in one photograph, but the other side couldn't be shown. Is there anyone else out there that might have this same problem? (Well, not really a problem, but you know what I mean  :rolleyes: )  

Really, Bunnies in spring? With tornados? As a planter? (The sound you just heard was my mind blowing up.)

I'll have to check whether the BITL (Bunny Interstellar Travel League) permits terrestrial pictures. This just got pretty interesting all of a sudden.

As for one picture, I'm pretty sure that someone on this list quoted Picasso saying "Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist." I'm not as well behaved as I used to be. ;>

The rules posted above state that only one image be attached to an entry.  Sometimes my work has four sides, each decorated totally different.  So one image wouldn't really show the decoration for the entire piece.  I could possibly photograph it at an angle to show two sides in one photograph, but the other side couldn't be shown. Is there anyone else out there that might have this same problem? (Well, not really a problem, but you know what I mean  :rolleyes: )  

Photograph two angles from front with mirror in the back to show the two back sides.  Or use a photo editor, like Microsoft Paint, to join two separate photos into one. 

That's why I made a montage to show all the sides of my "Sky" mug.  I'd got pics of each side, then re-read the rules about one picture.

I have removed the rule about one image, the reason it was there is because having 5 images per entry to take across to a results thread would be time consuming and each post I can only link 5 picture onto. I will still take one pictures into the final entry thread unless I feel two is really needed. If you want every picture in then do a composite of all pictures into one.

I couldn't wait...so I fired one of these monsters because I really wanted a tall pot to transplant an Anthurium.  It looks a little too commercial for me, but since it is for me (and the plant) I'll chalk it up to its functional, get over it :)  From the comments here about my previous posts, I think I have an entry to the challenge all sketched-out that I'm a little more excited about.  This is not my final entry, but I am definitely a proponent of putting a plant in the pot...from the movie Jerry MaGuire, "You complete me"...said the pot to the flower (not really...just a little poetic license).

Anthurium Couldn't Wait

Archived