Heat Resistant Gloves

These are not the exact ones being fired that day but my Raku section in my gallery are sampleshttp://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/gallery/album/130-raku    or you can see how I built the kiln on my website. http://www.marciaselsorstudio.com

I use these heat resistant gloves because it is easier to pick up heavy pieces with them. If I do it right, I don't get glove marks on the pieces and I don't get glaze on the gloves.

Mark Ward of Ward Burners sells these gloves.  

http://www.wardburners.com

They are good up to 30 seconds. Then the heat starts to penetrate. 

Marcia

DirtRoads: this is a raku kiln Marcia is using. In doing raku, you MUST take the objects out of the kiln at the temp of approx 980°C to 1000°C. You then put the pieces on sawdust or woodchip until they burn and then you cover it with a can or something incompustible. That's called reduction. Raku is great and the result beautiful! Google Raku if you are interested.

Marcia: I just wanted to jump into the video and help you ;-)

Evelyne

As a teacher at a University, I was required to be aware of student safety. I'd recommend these gloves.. I know Universities have poor budgets.

I like these gloves and use them with confidence. They work better than anything I have used in Raku. They are expensive , but I have had this pair for 5 years or so. I was cracking my slabs with tongs. I figure they have paid for themselves well over.

Marcia

As a teacher at a University, I was required to be aware of student safety. I'd recommend them. I know Universities have poor budgets.

I like these gloves and use them with confidence. They work better than anything I have used in Raku. They are expensive , but I have had this pair for 5 years or so. I was cracking my slabs with tongs. I figure they have paid for themselves well over.

Marcia

Marcia, what happens to the glaze?, does it get on the gloves?  Or are the edges unglazed.  I've been to a couple of Raku sessions, spent the following week scrubbing my skin and hair to get rid of the smoke.  10 times worse than scout camp!  So I loved your protective gear.

Chilly,

The edges are clean of glaze. I try to keep the glaze off the gloves always. 

High Bridge, The kiln is balanced and stays wherever I put it. I designed it to do that. Maybe I should have written a disclaimer, do try this at home!  :rolleyes:

I have been doing raku since 1967 when Paul Soldner gave a workshop for local colleges. That is closing in on 50 years.

I have built a lot of various types of raku kilns, and for several years in the late 90s I was the Raku answers person for Ceramics Monthly Questions.

So I think I have a lot of experience in this area. BUT you always need to take precautions. I went to picking up the large slabs to reduce the struggling with them at the end of tongs.. It has greatly reduced breakage from tong pressure of from clumsy dropping.

As always, when working with fire , be careful.

Marcia

Archived