Moore White - Matte

Chantay

I nervously unloaded my kiln this evening. I have had three bad glaze loads in a row. I was doing the happy dance. I have been looking for a matte white for over a year to use on red clay. This is the 7th recipe I have tried. I don't know enough to try and adjust anything. I sure hope this one passes the kitchen test. It is beautiful. I don't think the pic conveys the soft smooth texture. I would like to know if there is anyway to make it break to a rust color. Add rutile? Or would this change the color a great deal? I also made test tiles on white stones are and porcelain. They look ok, but not special.

post-13967-0-81925300-1430362800_thumb.jpg

post-13967-0-81925300-1430362800_thumb.jpg

That looks like a nice glaze.

I don't think adding rutile will get the effect you want, if I'm understanding you correctly.  The rutile will affect the overall color of the glaze and it will no longer be white.  Usually when a glaze "breaks" to a different color on texture, such as a ridge, it happens because the glaze is fluid enough to drain away from the high edges, leaving the body to show through the thinner layer of glaze at those edges, and/or the thinner glaze is more heavily influenced by the iron content of the body.

The problem with a matte glaze that you want to break is that many mattes are not particularly fluid.  The best approach, in my opinion, is to work with a matte that re-crystallizes to a matte surface if the kiln is cooled slowly enough. 

Long ago I worked for a while with Lizella clay, which at Cone 6 is a very dark, almost chocolate brown in oxidation.  It was also a brittle body when fired that high, but I developed a shiny white glaze, opacified with zirconium, that was fluid enough to break on the edges, and gave very attractive effects over the dark clay.  I think if I were you, I might try to find a crystalline matte with some fluidity.  And then look into cooling your kiln slowly through the pertinent temp range.

Unsuccessful glaze firings are so demoralising! I admire your tenacity Chantelle and think you've found a good one here.

I know just what you mean when you say you don't know enough to adjust something. I feel exactly the same - having just made the leap, to try mixing my own glazes. I sort of know that I need to find a half decent glaze recipe then use it as the basis for further testing. It's just, where to start? Which ingredient(s) to vary? What will make it shinier. etc. etc. I feel as if I need to stop making other pieces for a time and concentrate fully on glazing, otherwise I just get into a muddle and lose my thread. If I can bring myself to do it I'll make a ton of test tiles, get them bisqued and then hatch a glaze testing plan. It's just so tedious!!!

No answer to your rust query I'm afraid - good luck!

Celia

There are two ways to make a matte glaze- under fire it or grow crystals. It's hard to tell from a photo, but yours looks to be of the under fired family, which is why it doesn't break. Breaking glazes flow off the ridges and settle in the low spots. Formula-wise I would look for glazes with magnesium in them, and play with slow cooling schedules to achieve matteness.

I would like to know if there is anyway to make it break to a rust color. Add rutile? Or would this change the color a great deal? I also made test tiles on white stones are and porcelain. They look ok, but not special.

For cream breaking rust there are a couple gloss recipes that might work for you. They use tin plus red iron oxide. Google Tom Buck and Cream Breaking Red and Cream Breaking Rust. 

Min,

I have tried a cream breaking rust before.  It didn't turn out well.  I may try it again.

Bruce,

have your tried any of these receipes?  I may try the cream breaking rust as it is different than the receipe I have.  I am esp interested in the clear base for colorants.  I have been looking for one for a while.  Since I am new I often wonder, esp after three bad glaze loads, how much of my failures are my fault in mixing the glaze, the firing process, or not a good receipe. 

Big Lou,

things move slowly at my house.  I only fired this cup and some test tiles.  I will put the cup in the dishwasher for a month, washing daily.  I have a lot of bisque ware ready to glaze.  So I will run another glaze fire this weekend and commence testing next week.  I will do the lemon test, freezer/boiling water.  I will pour coffee into a cup daily and wash daily for a month for staining. I will also put a couple of bowls/plates in the cabinet for the family to use.  My main concern is silverware marks being as it is underfired..  That is totally unacceptable on a plate to me.  Makes me crazy.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I will continue my search for the cream breaking glaze suitable for dishware.  I know there is one out there, I have seen it but the owner doesn't want to share.

Bruce,

I pulled up my copy of the cream breaking rust last night and it is exactly the same. I am going to try mixing it again. I think the first time I might have messed it up. Thanks again for the receives.

Archived