Decals & Underglazes

I've been working with laser decals and I'm wanting to colour them. If I add a decal to greenware and fire to bisque, then "colour" it in with underglazes or regular glazes, will the black/iron show through the underglaze or glaze once fired again? 

I've tried sketching onto the clay, painting the colour in first and then firing...then applying the decal but it's hard to get the colour/decal to line up perfectly. Any ideas for adding colour to pieces fired with iron toner decals would be appreciated. Thanks! x

Have you tried overglazes? You mix them from powder pigment adding in a medium then paint them on the finished piece and fire it at a low temp.

You can also try:

Pebeo Porcelaine 150 Paint

I use the Pebeo line on my boxes and pendants to add color to my laser transfers. Super easy to use only have to fire afterwards to 300 degrees. They are easier to start out using than the overglazes which have a bit of a learning curve with the Pebeo you just open a jar and start painting. I don't paint them on areas that come into contact with food though.

I'm not sure what your overall vision of this work would be but this is what I know.

I'd expect it to be tricky to apply laser decals to greenware, to waterslide it into position and get it to stay there - it is tricky but do-able.  

When you fire it to bisque - there's no glaze on your work yet for the iron oxide to melt  into, I'd anticipate the laser print would remain powdery and unfused therefore easily marred on handling.  if you get that far and elect to pain in underglaze colours in gaps in the image - that'll be challenging to handle and to avoid disturbing the powdery print on the work with your brush and liquid underglaze.  I assume you don't intend to glaze the work at all as if you attempt to glaze over a laser decal image it will almost entirely disappear as there is so scant an amount of iron oxide present in the image.  Think of how much ink/toner there is when you print it on printer paper - barely anything, not enough to show through glaze ingredients once its fired.  

My suggestion is you compromise and select the area on the greenware where you print will go, and paint a patch of underglaze colour there, three coats usually gets good density of colour.  Then fire and glaze as usual, then apply your deal over the coloured area.  

Alternatively - the Pebeo Porcelaine paints for on glaze but very low temp firing are a good choice.

Archived